24 June 10:00 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

By Max & Vince

Final game Vs. Saprissa

The game was at 10:00 a.m. at a FIFA field. We arrived and got ready in the locker room. Then we went on to the field and started to warm up. Coach Gary told us the starting 11 and then the game started. We gave Saprissa Rapids key chains and they gave us Saprissa flags, magazines, and wristbands. We were wearing all white, while they were wearing all burgundy.

The first half ended 0-0. We had better chances at goal, but the possession went to Saprissa. The line-up changed a little and the second half started. Saprissa came and scored a goal, then another one. We didn’t give up. Juan was 1v1 with keeper and took a big touch. The keeper got to the ball first and tried to kick it out, but Juan ran as fast as he can and threw his body. The ball hit Juan and went in the goal. We kept playing hard, but the game ended. We lost 2-1.

Even though we lost, we knew we played well. We won three, lost twice, and tied once.

By Cade, Triston and Marko

Game vs. Saprissa

On Sunday morning, we woke up at 7 o’clock. We got to eat breakfast off the buffet and when we had finished we got on our bus to the FIFA Training field. It was huge and pretty. The result of the game was 2-1 Saprissa.

After the game we had a barbeque at one of the Saprissa’s player’s houses. It was really fun. We danced, threw water balloons and ate a lot. It was a lot of fun and really relaxing. After lunch we said our goodbyes to the player including Hayden giving his shin guard bands for a pair of shorts.

After that it was a long ride back to our hotel. When we got there we dropped off all of us were really tired. Gary then treated us to the pool from 6 to 7. After that we headed to dinner. It was some soup with slow roasted pork and rice. Lastly, we packed and took pictures with the waiters it was really sad. It was a great trip.

23 June 9:07 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

Thibbs, Toby, and Jake

We had breakfast at 8:30 for a training session at 10. As we started walking to the field, we see German, a Saprissa coach, walking towards us with a team trailing him. German started talking with Gary and Brian about what he wanted to do. We had no idea this was coming, but German wanted to scrimmage our team. 20 minute halves, and a 40 minute game, even a referee showed up.

We got to kick off, and kept possession for quite a while. We finally lost possession after a couple of minutes because the ball went out. We had way more possession, in the first half. The other team could barely keep the ball for over a minute. Although we had our opportunities, we were not able to finish them. Going into halftime, the score was 0-0.

In the second half, we still had a lot of possession, but had more of an attack going; therefore we lost the ball more. Finally we got on the board after Juan crossed the ball for Jake to just tap in at the far post. Not too long after, Toby played a through ball to Jake around the 18 yard box that Jake scored off. Right after that Jake crossed the ball to Juan who had a beautiful finish right into the corner. The game was totally in our favor, even up to the point where Win tried to dribble and cut someone in his own 6 yard box, but the other player stuck his foot out for the tackle, deflecting the ball into the goal.

The game ended at the score of 3-1. Afterwards, Gary nicknamed Win, Winaldinho for his amazing dribbling skills. The game was another good one for us, another W.

Dani, Hayden, Marco

We woke up 8:30 to eat breakfast, we had omelets and fruit. We then got our gear and went to the fields with the hotel owner’s grandson, Daniel. At practice we scrimmaged another team and won. After we had lasagna and vegetables for lunch. After lunch we said goodbye to Gustavo because they thought that there baby was going to be arriving either today or Sunday.

After we said goodbye, Coach Gary (right, with hotel owner's son, Daniel) took us to the pool where we played handball in the water for around an hour Wins team won 8-0…….. because they had all the tall people. After the pool we rested till 7:00 and ate dinner. At dinner we ate rice, chicken, and beans. For dessert we had vanilla ice cream covered in chocolate sauce, while the coaches had cheesecake. Then we went to bed prepared for our early, intense game tomorrow!!!!!!!!

22 June 8:57 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

By Hank, Cal, and Connor

We woke up at 8:15 for a 9:00 am breakfast of perfectly cooked brownish yellow French toast with fresh fruit and orange juice. After the breakfast was over and we had to say goodbye to our favorite restaurant men Miguel and Saul, we went back up to our rooms for some peace and quiet to rest up for that night’s game.

We had hung out in the rooms eating whatever food we could manage to scrub up for about 2 hours before we met Brian at the elevator. He told us we were going to a peaceful place to stretch and get ready for the big game tonight. We went to the pool to do this because it was quiet and relaxing. Brian gave us some stretches to do before we came up with our own, and eventually it just turned into a lounging game.

We then headed for lunch with the game in the back of our minds and got settled at the white table clothed wooden table to get the food into our bodies and energize us for the game. The lunch was an extraordinary blend of spaghetti and beef with fresh fruit and iced tea to quench our thirsts. After the food had been consumed by us like a pack of wolves that hadn’t eaten in a week, we got dressed and headed out for the fields.

The field was incredible! It was a perfectly placed turf field with the white marking lines running straight and parallel to each other. But now it was time to focus in and get set for tonight’s key match.

The game started and the half wore on with Uruguay controlling and eventually getting two goals on us before the half was over. It was 2-0 at halftime. Then, the Rapids that I, and everyone else knew showed up. The final score was 4-2 we won!

On the bus ride home the team was overcome with a mix of joy and happiness and we got back to the hotel in a bundle of excitement. But that was all put out the window when the word, “dinner,” was mentioned. Everyone was SUPER hungry when we got back and probably set a world record for “most food eaten in 10 minutes by a soccer team” in the process. We had sandwiches and french fries with fruit, iced tea, and bread. It was really good and we had a blast talking to each other, but we were all really tired and as soon as we got the chance we high tailed in out of the restaurant and into our beds to call it a day, and get some sleep.

By Juan, Win, and Paul

We took a long bus ride to the field which took about 30 Minutes.  We started out with a warm up we did monkey in the middle and another game. Then, Gustavo did our workout part of our warm up; we did sprints, high knees, and other things to stretch out our muscles. Next, Gustavo did a shooting drill which had a pass to him and he laid it off for a finish to goal.

Then the game began, in the first half we got scored on twice. One of the goals was a header and the other one was just a regular finish. We were down 2-0 at half time.

Then in the second half we stepped up our game and we played a lot better. Danny scored half way through the half to make the game 2-1. That’s when it all began.

It was back and forth for a while and then finally we got possession for a while and the other team got frustrated, then with 3 minutes left and Tristan scored a header off of Juan’s cross. And we were tied 2-2. The whole bench went crazy. Then Marco Rios hit the post and ever body was disappointed.

Then Marco Rios curved it into the far post and then the score was 3-2 rapids! Finally right after that goal Marco blasted a shot and it hit off of one of their players and it went into the goal. As soon as the goal happened the game ended and every one went insane.   

21 June 9:33 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

By Max and Vincent

On Thursday morning we woke up really early in the morning. At 7 we had breakfast of fruit and pancakes. It was really good.

After, we got on our bus to head to the school for our community service. When we first arrived we were all very excited and ready to help the local school. At first we walked up a long staircase where many of the kindergartners lined up to welcome us. Then when we reached the top, there was a stage. Many of the kids sang Costa Rica ́s National anthem. Then they began dancing and the invited all of the staff and team to dance with them. First was Win then everybody joined in and Thibbs got to dance with a really hot muchahcha and they fell in loooooove. HAHA <3 <3 <3

Also many of the girls fell to Hayden ́s knees because of his good looks .HAHA <3 <3 <3

Then after the interaction with the many children we headed up to the back of the school where we could do some work. What we did was we scrubbed a wall with tons of moss on it. They were so grateful that we did that small deed because they could pay someone to clean of they could feed a child their only meal of the day. For all of us it was a real eye opener to see how privileged we are.

After the school we took a 30 min. ride to the Saprissa stadium. When we arrived the burgundy color was everywhere. First we got to walk down the team hallway under the stadium and here's a cool fact. When the other team was in their locker room the Saprissa fans would jump up and down making the stadium shake like an earthquake. This would make the other team almost pee their pants.

When we came out of the tunnel the stadium was huge and the field was just rocks. It was because they were re-turfing the field for the u17 women ́s world cup.

Finally, we left the stadium to go to the mall. It was huge and there were at least 20 different American food outlets to choose from. Most of us went to Wendy’s. After lunch we went our groups to look and buy some clothing and gear. Many of us got Saprissa jerseys.

After about 2 hours we left but Paul bought Grand Theft Auto and Brian made him switch it out for a more appropriate game. After the mall we traveled back to our hotel for dinner and a 30 min swim in the pool. For dinner we had steak and a salad and it was really good. That was Thursday.

20 June 10:00 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

By Max and Vincent

Our third game was on a Wednesday, June 19, against Escazu. We arrived at the field and started to warm up. While warming up, it was pouring rain and everyone was soaked. We went to our locker room after warm up and changed into our white uniforms. We came back onto the field and the rain stopped and then the game started. Ten seconds into the game Juan dribbled the ball down the field and scored. After that, we felt more confident and started to play harder. We scored eight more goals and Escazu with none. Juan and Dani both had a hatrick.. Paul, Jake, Triston all scored one. We played three periods thirty minutes each. After the ninety minutes, the final score was 9-0.

19 June 9:16 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).


By Hayden Marco and Danni

After the coffee plantation Chucho brought us on the bus to go to volcano. When we got off the bus it was a little chilly, we walked around 5 minutes up the hill and it started to get warmer and more humid.

Once we got to the top there was an awesome view of the volcano with rain build up in the middle. There was a lot of steam because of it that filled up the skies with steam. We could hardly see anything it was really hard to see.

Chucho gave us a lesson about when the volcano last erupted. Then we walked 10 minutes up a path to a lagoon where we took pictures and through these awesome ninja leaves at each other. We saw a underwater volcano but we didn’t see because it was covered with rain water. After we took a long 20 minute walk down to the bus and it was very steep. Finally we got on the bus and we headed off to the waterfall.


By Thibbs, Toby, and Jake

When we got off the bus, Choochoo took us to a very nice cafeteria. There we had salad, noodles, pizza, garlic knots and pineapple.

After we ate lunch, we all had to use the bathroom. When we walked in, we thought it was soo cool. The sinks were almost waterfalls. When you turned the rock, which was the handle, the “waterfalls” turned on.

After that we went to the zoo part where we were able to see all of the animals. The birds were the first animals we saw. There were toucans, hawks, and some parrots. Then we went to the butterfly room. Hayden was scared out of his mind of them. After the butterflies, we got to see the monkeys. WE would feed the monkeys, and the monkeys would run around to wherever they could get fed. The Ocelots looked like mini versions of the Jaguars, with their spotted tails. The jaguar was much cooler. It would paste back and forth so no one could get a picture.

There was also a hanging play toy that he did not want. Even at one point, the Jaguar decided to pee at us. We saw huge bulls later on in the walk. The dears were quite skittish if you got close to them. We also passed through the frog habitats where frogs could roam free. Some were even poisonous.

The walk to the waterfalls took a while. Everyone was pushing to take pictures. Once we headed back to the bus, we went to the gift shop. The bus ride home took almost 2 and a half hours.

18 June 11:09 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

By Connor, Cal, and Hank

We started out at about 3:00 pm on the bus that was going to take us to the game. It was fun to look at all of the neat things on the streets of Costa Rica that you wouldn ́t be able to see in America like the food stands and all of the people out and about.

Once we arrived at the fields, we headed into our own locker room which was really cool! We got changed into our warm up stuff, used the bathrooms, and then headed out for our warm up which was SUPPOSED to be on the field. The problem was though that some other little teams thought it was their day to practice on the field and so we decided to take the high road and let them have the field for a while. Once they had finally finished we went into the locker rooms and got dressed for the game.

Once the whistle blew the team we were playing, Belen, came out hot and we came out flat after not having our usual warm up. Belen got a quick goal in about the 10th minute to take the lead 1-0. The game dragged on for a long time in the first half with Belen controlling the game before Belen had a chance to really hit us with a dagger. They had a penalty kick. The tallest kid on the team who looked like his number 24 was actually his age came up and put the penalty where no professional could even save it. 2-0 was the score heading into halftime.

With a brief talk about defensive pressure, and substitutions with fresh legs, we were able to control the game in the second half, which was a total change from the way the first half went. In the 50th minute we had won a free kick from about 25 yards out and had Marco Rios ready to take it, and take it he did. He put the ball in the left side netting.

Our break-through had come and now we were fired up and on the scoreboard. 10 minutes later Marco Rios received a bouncing pass from the same left wing and took a quick turn shot from 17 yards out and put it in the same corner he had earlier. Now we had the momentum. We were dominating play, but one fast break for Belen off of a turnover and they put the ball in our corner of the net off of their break away. 3-2 was the final score and Belen had beaten us.

Even though it was an extremely tough loss for us, we never stay down long and there is absolutely no way that this is going to hold us back from reaching our full potential on this incredible trip.

18 June 10:00 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

Cade, Triston, and Marko

On Monday morning we had woken up at 7:30 am to go eat breakfast. The bad part was that everyone was pretty tired; Tibbs even had bags under his eyes. When we arrived at breakfast there was a bowl of fruit waiting for us. And ten minutes later pancakes were in front us. Everyone was so excited that we had pancakes.

Paul had quoted, “this is the business.”

When we had finished up breakfast, we had a meeting at the pool. The meeting was about our trip so far. It was fun for us to hear each other’s thoughts. After that, we all headed to our hotel rooms to get ready to go for a walk around the hotel's courtyard. It was beautiful. We saw lizards and a bunch of amazing plants and flowers. Furthermore, that was Monday Morning.

Next - Monday’s lunch was one of the best we had. Our lunch was fried chicken with a side of fries, and let me tell you, it was really good after having a bunch of crazy things to eat and try. We also had desert! The desert didn’t exactly hit the spot. It was like cake/jello, it was weird but fun to play with. We still appreciated their effort, Cade remarked.

Finally it was the game. We arrived two hours early for warm-ups but another group of kids were taking the field for their practice! We only warmed up for 30 minutes. The outcome was 3-2 Belen.

When we got back to the hotel it was 8:45. For diner we had Heart of Palm( literally) and a side of salad. It was delicious.

17 June 10:00 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

By Marco Rios, Dani Haddad, and Hayden

We had breakfast at 7:30, then got our gear and went to practice. Hank didn’t go to practice because he wasn’t feeling good.

After practice Gustavo took us around and showed us the Costa Rica national stadium with his wife.

Then we had a snack at the hotel, while we were eating coach Brian came. We went to the pool and we did races in the pool. After all that we all rested and then went to dinner.

Right after dinner we had a meeting with Brian, Gary, and Drew. The meeting was at the pool and we talked about many things like what’s different and what we liked about it. Finally we went to our rooms and rested. While we were resting there was a power outage and it was completely dark. But then the lights turned back on. Eventually we fell asleep and woke up ready for tomorrows game.

Sunday after practice
Max and Vincent

Today after practice, we went to go see the Costa Rican National soccer stadium in the city. When at the field, our host Gustavo tried to get us a tour of the stadium, but the guards did not let us in, so instead we went around the stadium.

We saw pro baseball games, animals, and people playing soccer. Baseball in Costa Rica isn’t popular and while we were there, we started to watch a professional game. Even though it was a championship game, you could watch for free and there were about 15 people in the crowd. It felt like watching a little league game.

In Costa Rica, there is about 90,000 different species of animals, but we only saw three. We saw ducks that didn’t look like ducks. They were black with a red face and looked more like chickens than ducks. We also saw horses that you can ride for about $2 U.S. There were kids riding horses at the age around 7, riding horses with no adult supervision right by the edge of the lake. The last animal we saw was dogs. We saw a vicious Labrador puppy, a British mop dog that was black and white, and a small beagle puppy. We also saw dogs at the practice fields. There was a dog barking at us loud and spinning all at once. Dogs in Costa Rica are scary.

While we were walking around, all we saw was soccer. There was street soccer, pick-up games, and adult leagues. Even though the fields weren’t the best, they just wanted to go out and play.

When we were walking, there were people staring at us and whispering to each other. Some people would even approach us and ask for autographs. While we were at the airport, there was a man who helped us with our luggage trying to make a few dollars. Costa Ricans are friendly and look up to us. They’re different than Americans. They´re different in a good way. After dinner, while we were writing this paper, the whole town´s power went out for about 10 seconds. It was even scarier than the dogs.

16 June 10:00 am

(A selection of Colorado Rapids U-13s is in Costa Rica participating in the Saprissa Cup. The kids, ranging from 10-13 years-old, provide updates from their trip).

By Win, Juan and Paul

In the morning we had interesting oatmeal and eggs. We also killed a huge spider with a remote. Then we met at the elevator so we could get on the bus to go to our game. We saw a crazy dog that marked and spun in circles. Finally we got back after an exhausting game. Then we had our best meal, it was a mushroom marinated steak and some potatoes.

Then we went to German´s presentation of biodiversity and soccer in Costa Rica. Then we found out that he was a goalkeeper. He takes all kinds of pictures in Costa Rica´s tropical rain forest. We had so much fun learning about the wide variety of wildlife and soccer.

Later that day we went to our own rooms and we went on the balcony and we were talking with our teammates from the other rooms. We were out there for a little while and then we went inside to go to sleep and wake up the next morning.

By Thibbs Jake and Toby

We woke up at 7 for a 10 o'clock game time. When we arrived, the whole team, and their parents were staring at us. Before the game, the starters from both teams as well as the referees, walked onto the field to shake hands. We didn’t get the kick-off, but Hank got to defend the goal he wanted.

With the extremely hot humidity making us all sweat like we never have before, about halfway through the first half, Marco sent a left-footed cross into the box for Paul to head in. Then the half ended.

We kicked off for the second half. One of Saprissas forwards took the ball down the right side and crossed it. We made a mistake in the defense which led to a goal for the other team. We kicked off again. A little while after that, one of their forwards dribbled down the left side. Then he took a left-footed shot and placed it in the back right corner. 2-1 them.

From this point we were getting frustrated, but with 4 minutes to go, Juan took a shot from outside the box and it hit the crossbar and went in. We got even and gained momentum for the rest of the game. At the end of the game we had a cool down which involved stretching and light jogging.