Home Opener: Rapids vs Chicago Preview
COMMERCE CITY, CO – The Colorado Rapids prepare to kick off their first home match of 2010 when they host the Chicago Fire this Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park at 2:00pm. Last Friday night, the Colorado Rapids began their 2010 regular season with a 1-0 win over Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center thanks to an Omar Cummings goal in the 56th minute. It was the first time the team opened the season with a road win in team history. On Saturday, April 3, your Rapids kick off their 15th MLS campaign at home, and will look to go 2-0 to start a season for the first time in club history.
Quick Notes for Saturday's Opening Day:
• Colorado are 4-0-2 in their last six home openers, winning the last four by outscoring their opponents 11-3. In 2009, Omar Cummings' second half goal gave Colorado the 2-1 win over Kansas City.
• The Rapids' all-time record versus Chicago is 11-16-5, and 8-3-4 when playing them in Colorado. Chicago have posted a 3-1-1 record in the last five meetings, winning both meetings in 2009. Colorado are 1-1-1 versus the Fire at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.
• Omar Cummings has scored three goals in two starts against Chicago, tying for the most goals he has scored against any opponent. He has now also scored three against Chivas USA.
• In the Rapids' season opener against Chivas USA, five players made their debuts in a Rapids uniform, including starting defenders Danny Earls and Marvell Wynne, and midfielder Jeff Larentowicz. In the second half, Wells Thompson and rookie draft pick Ross LaBeaux entered as substitutes for their first game with the Rapids.
• Also last Friday, Team Captain Pablo Mastroeni added to his franchise-most eight season opener appearances with his seventh opening day start. • Midfielder Colin Clark made his first appearance for the Rapids since tearing his left ACL in August 2009.
• Chicago began their 2010 campaign with a 1-0 loss at the New York Red Bulls. The team has made a few roster changes since the end of 2009, including the addition of new head coach Carlos de los Cobos, Dutch forward Collins John, and goalkeeper Andrew Dystra, who replaced the veteran Jon Busch. Chicago have also had a few key losses, including the departure of midfielder Cuauhtemoc Blanco, defender Gonzalo Segares, and forward Chris Rolfe.
Tickets are still available for Saturday's Opening Day; fans can buy tickets online at the TicketHorse official website by clicking here.
For the full match preview of this game, visit the Colorado Rapids' Official Match-Up Page, featuring interactive projected lineups, insider game notes, head-to-head stats, and the latest injury and suspension reports, by clicking here.
GAME PROMOTIONS FOR SATURDAY'S OPENING DAY
-Unveiling of the Rapids Supporters Terrace: It's destined to be the most unique supporters section in any American soccer stadium. Designed specifically for, and in conjunction with, the Rapids Supporters Groups, the Rapids Supporters Terrace will be unveiled for the first time ever on Saturday. Be there for the christening of the first-ever European-style terraced fan area specificially engineered for an authentic soccer experience in the United States!
-The Flobots Live in Concert: Fans coming to the Colorado Rapids’ 2010 Home Opener on Saturday, April 3 at 2 p.m. vs. the Chicago Fire will be treated to a special halftime performance by Denver's own national recording artists, The Flobots. The Flobots' halftime performance on April 3 will be free to all fans holding a ticket to Rapids Opening Day! Details
-15th Season Celebrations: It's your Rapids' 15th Opening Day, and to celebrate, we're recognizing the club's most dedicated fans in grand fashion. Be there as the Rapids reward all of the club's Season Ticket Holders who have held their seats since the club's inception in 1996 in a special ceremony on the field at halftime!
-Rapids Lads Night Out Pack: If you're looking for the ultimate night out with the guys (or girls!) this is it! This unbeatable package features 2 tickets to the game, 2 beers at the stadium, and 2 Rapids official burgundy beanies, all for only $49! Order your Rapids Opening Day Lads Night Out pack for Saturday by clicking here!
-Season Ticket Holder Scarves: All of the Rapids' 2010 Full Season Ticket Holders will receive an exclusive Colorado Rapids scarf on Opening Day! Full Season Ticket Holders, make sure you check your Season Ticket mailing for your special voucher with details on where to pick up your official club scarf on Saturday!
-Colorado Youth Soccer Parade of Teams: Each member club of CYS (Colorado Youth Soccer) has been offered the chance to nominate one of their youth teams to represent their club with pride and participate in a special pregame Parade of Colorado Youth Soccer Teams prior to the game! The youth teams will parade around the field inside Dick's Sporting Goods Park bearing the banners, flags and colors of their youth club while the Rapids are warming up for the match! Moms and dads, bring your cameras for this ultimate photo opportunity!
-Free Schedule Magnet Night: The Rapids will distribute the 2010 club schedule magnets free to all fans in attendance as they enter the stadium on Saturday, courtesy of Xcel Energy, HealthONE and Dick's Sporting Goods! Extra bonus? Each magnet schedule also comes with a detachable magnetic Rapids logo fans can stick on their automobile!
-It's Rapids Opening Day! It's the most-anticipated date on Colorado's sports & entertainment calendar this year as your Rapids face off against Chicago on Opening Day! Spring is here and soccer's in the air! Be there to be a part of all the passion, pageantry and action, and get to Dick's Sporting Goods Park to experience the world's game on Opening Night!