Colorado Rapids 2005 Playoff Update: All the Details You Need on Scenarios Dates Tickets & More!
ColoradoRapids.com - (Updated 10/30/05) The Colorado Rapids are "Kicking Up the Intensity" for the 2005 MLS Cup Playoffs!
Keep checking back to this page for updates on the Rapids' playoff standings scenarios and ticket information as it becomes available.
CURRENT RAPIDS STANDINGS
The Colorado Rapids have finished the 2005 regular season as the #3-seeded team in the Western Conference.
The Rapids have defeated FC Dallas in the first round (semifinals) of the 2005 MLS Cup Playoffs a 2-game home and away series. The Rapids advanced after defeating FCD on penalty kicks after the series was tied 2-2 in aggregate goals.
The Rapids will next host the #4-seeded LA Galaxy in the Western Conference Championship on November 5 at Invesco Field.
To view the final 2005 MLS standings with points win-loss records and goals scored statistics click here.
These are the Rapids' playoff dates (both secured and potential):
Conference Semifinal Game 1: FC Dallas at Colorado Rapids: Sat. Oct. 22 7:00pm MT at Invesco Field.
Conference Semifinal Game 2: Colorado Rapids at FC Dallas: Sat. Oct. 29 6:30pm MT at Pizza Hut Park.
Western Conference Championship: LA Galaxy at Colorado Rapids Sat. Nov. 5 7:00pm at Invesco Field.
MLS Cup: Sun. Nov. 13 teams TBA 1:30pm at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco TX.
Remember to wear your Black & Blue to any and all home playoff games!
PLAYOFF TICKET INFORMATION
Tickets for the Western Conference Championship are on sale now! Call the Rapids at 303-825-GOAL to purchase your tickets today!
You can also purchase your Rapids Playoff Tickets online by CLICKING HERE.
Rapids Season Ticket Holders will use their Match 17 "Special Game A" tickets and parking passes for the Western Conference Championship game on Nov. 5.
THE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: MLS CUP 2005
MLS Cup 2005 is coming to Texas! The Championship Game will be played at Pizza Hut Park on Sunday November 13 at Major League Soccer's newest soccer-specific stadium. The Cup will be televised nationally on ABC with kickoff at 1:30pm MT.
For more information on MLS Cup 2005 or to find out about ticket information for the championship match click here.
MLS PLAYOFFS FORMAT
Who Qualifies: The top four teams in each Conference advance to the Conference Semifinals.
Conference Semifinals: The Conference Semifinal series are conducted under a home-and-away aggregate-goal format. For each Conference the 1st seed plays the 4th seed and the 2nd seed faces the 3rd seed in the Conference Semifinal series with the 3rd and 4th - seeded teams hosting the first game of the 2-game series. The higher-seeded teams therefore have home field advantage for the final game of the series. The team that scores the most goals in their home-and-away series advances to the single elimination Conference Championship.
If after Game Two of the Conference Semifinals teams are tied on aggregate goals then two 15-minutes halves of Extra Time will be played in their entirety in each case followed by kicks from the penalty mark if the series or game remains tied. Golden Goal (sudden death) will NOT be utilized.
Conference Championship: Two single-game Conference Championships determine the MLS Cup Finalists. The team with the higher seed between the two Conference finalists will host the Conference Championship game.
In the case of ties after regulation in the Eastern and Western Conference Championship games and MLS Cup 30 minutes of extra time (divided into two 15-minute periods) would be played followed by a penalty-kick shootout if necessary to determine the winners.
TEAM STANDINGS TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
The team awarded the highest position in the MLS standings will be the team with the greatest number of points as determined by the point system. Ties will be broken according to the following system (NOTE: If two clubs remain tied after first club advances during any step tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format):
1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points (Head-to-head competition).
2) If the teams are still equal in the standings the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the greater goal difference against all other teams during the regular season (Goal differential).
3) If the teams are still equal in the standings the highest position shall be awarded to the team scoring the greatest number of total goals against all other teams during the regular season (Total goals).
4) If the teams are still equal in the standings the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played on the road by each team against all other teams during the regular season (Road 1-3)
5) If the teams are still equal in the standings the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played at home by each team against all other teams during the regular season (Home 1-3).
6) If the teams are still equal in the standings the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the fewest team disciplinary points during the regular season.
7) If the teams are still equal in the standings the highest position in the standings shall be determined by the toss of a coin.
As always for further information on the Rapids playoffs or details on any other Rapids-related items contact the Rapids Front Office at (303) 825-GOAL.