This Friday is Deadline to Vote for Your Favorite Rapids Players for the 2006 MLS All-Star Game!
DENVER (ColoradoRapids.com) – Colorado Rapids fans can make their voices heard by choosing their favorite Rapids stars they want to see compete versus English Premier League champion Chelsea FC in the 2006 Sierra Mist MLS All-Star Game.
Official online balloting is open but voting ends on July 7! So hurry and vote for your favorite Rapids players you want to see represented in the MLS All-Star XI in this year’s game! Vote online now by CLICKING HERE.
The 2006 Sierra Mist MLS All-Star Game will bring together the best MLS players for a marquee match-up with English powerhouse Chelsea FC on Aug. 5 2006 in Chicago’s handsome new soccer-specific stadium in Bridgeview Illinois. The game will be nationally televised live on ESPN at 4:30 p.m. MT.
Fans can vote for the All-Star XI online by selecting up to one goalkeeper three defenders five midfielders and two forwards. Fans can vote up to 10 times per day. The online fan balloting program which concludes on Friday July 7 will comprise 25 percent of the total vote for the All-Star XI with coaches and general managers players and media each holding 25 percent of the vote to combine for the remaining 75 percent.
The coach of the MLS All-Star squad will be the coach of the MLS team with the best record as decided by the most total points in League play following games played on Monday July 3. The standard MLS tiebreakers will determine the coach if two or more teams are tied.
The All-Star XI will be announced on Wednesday July 12. The MLS All-Star reserves will be announced on Friday July 14. Five players will be selected as reserves by the head coach and the final two will be selected by MLS commissioner Don Garber.
This year’s All-Star team will take on one of the world’s top professional soccer clubs. Led by international soccer icons Frank Lampard Arjen Robben Hernan Crespo and Joe Cole Chelsea FC is an all-star team of its own and it has finished first in the prestigious English Premier League for two consecutive seasons.
This year marks the third time that MLS All-Stars have taken on a high-profile international opponent. In 2003 the MLS All-Stars defeated Mexican club CD Guadalajara 3-1 and in 2005 they stormed English opponents Fulham 4-1 with then-Rapids star Jeff Cunningham leading the way for the MLS side. The format of the Sierra Mist All-Star game makes it the most competitive all-star game in professional American sports.