Breaking down the 2013 schedule
Seven weeks. That's how long before the 2013 season kicks off, with the Rapids visiting FC Dallas for First Kick on March 2.
With the complete schedule unveiled today, let's break it down a bit:
- 34 games: 24 on Saturdays, 5 on Sundays, 3 on Wednesday, and one on a Thursday and Friday
- Home: 14 Saturdays, 1 Sunday, 1 Wednesday, 1 Thursday
- Road: 10 Saturdays, 4 Sundays, 2 Wednesdays, 1 Friday
- 24 games vs Western Conference = 2 home / 1 away vs. Salt Lake, Vancouver, Seattle, and Dallas; 1 home / 2 away vs LA, Chivas, Portland, and San Jose.
- 10 games vs Eastern Conference = home vs Philadelphia, D.C., New York, Toronto, and New England; Away at Columbus, Chicago, Sporting KC, Montreal, and Houston.
- 5 day home games during the colder months of March, April, and October (with the exception of the national TV match vs Seattle on Oct. 5)
- 11 night home games during the warmer / hotter months of May, June, July, August, and September
- March = 5 games
- April = 4 games
- May = 4 games
- June = 5 games
- July = 4 games
- August = 5 games
- September = 3 games
- October = 4 games
- 7 games on national TV = 5 on NBC Sports Network, 2 on UniMas (formerly Telefutura).
- Longest home stand: 3 games (May 25-June 15)
- Longest road stand: 3 games (June 19-29)
- 9 / 20 = # of matches vs Eastern teams in the first 20 games of the season
- 13 / 14 = # of Western opponents in the last 14 games of the season
- March 2 season opener at Dallas is the earliest in club's history and 13th time the team has started a season on the road.
- Rapids are 11-2-4 all-time in the first home match of each season, and are riding a nine-game undefeated streak. The last time the Rapids lost a home opener was in 2003 to San Jose.