Colorado Rapids aren't the only MLS team traveling far for first Open Cup match
At this point, that the Colorado Rapids will travel for a U.S. Open Cup match is just about a given. Next Tuesday the Rapids will begin play in the 100th edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in Florida when they visit Orlando City FC of the USL Pro league. The 1,500-mile trip will be the 11th consecutive Open Cup road match for the Rapids since 2007 - and the 27th of 31 overall since 1996.
According to U.S. Soccer, home teams are determined by a random selection process from among those clubs that have applied to host and whose venues meet the minimum tournament requirements.
Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo confirmed to ColoradoRapids.com that the Rapids applied to host the Open Cup matches at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, though, once again, the luck of the draw was not in the club's favor.
But Colorado isn't the only team that will travel far next week.
The LA Galaxy, San Jose Earthquakes, and Seattle Sounders will cross the country completely as each were drawn to play teams on the east coast. LA will travel 2,220 mile to visit the Carolina Railhawks in Cary, North Carolina, the Earthquakes have a 2,375 mile trip to play the Charleston Battery in South Carolina, and the Sounders will fly 2,500 miles to face the Tampa Bay Rowdies.
Seven of the U.S.-based MLS teams will host their Third Round match, while five others will travel.
And which team has the shortest trip?
Chivas USA will 'travel' a few miles to face the LA Blues.
Here is the complete list of third-round matchups, based on U.S. Soccer's draw, with the home team listed first:
- May 28: Richmond Kickers (USL PRO) vs. D.C. United (MLS), 7 pm ET
- May 28: Philadelphia Union (MLS) vs. Ocean City Nor'easters (PDL), 7:30 pm ET
- May 28: Orlando City SC (USL PRO) vs. Colorado Rapids (MLS), 7: 30 pm ET
- May 28: Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) vs. FC Dallas (MLS), 7:30 pm ET
- May 28: Charleston Battery (USL PRO) vs. San Jose Earthquakes (MLS), 7:30 pm ET
- May 28: Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO) vs. New England Revolution (MLS), 7:35 pm ET
- May 28: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) vs. Des Moines Menace (PDL), 8:30 pm ET
- May 28: Real Salt Lake (MLS) vs. Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL), 9:30 pm ET
- May 28: LA Blues (USL PRO) vs. Chivas USA (MLS), 10:30 pm ET
- May 29: Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO) vs. Chicago Fire (MLS), 7 pm ET
- May 29: Carolina RailHawks (NASL) vs. LA Galaxy (MLS), 7:15 pm ET
- May 29: Columbus Crew (MLS) vs. Dayton Dutch Lions (USL PRO), 7:30 pm ET
- May 29: New York Red Bulls (MLS) vs. Reading United AC (PDL), 7:30 pm ET
- May 29: Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) vs. Seattle Sounders (MLS), 7:30 pm ET
- May 29: Houston Dynamo (MLS) vs. FC Tucson (PDL), 8:30 pm ET
- May 29: Portland Timbers (MLS) vs. Wilmington Hammerheads (USL PRO), 10:30 pm ET
Potential Fourth Round match ups and locations - to be played on June 12 - are expected to be announced on May 22 by U.S. Soccer.