Inside the Numbers: Colorado Rapids substitutes making an impact
After Edson Buddle scored for the second straight game off the bench last week against Sporting KC, I reached out to the Elias Sports Bureau for some help with statistics since it was the fourth straight game in which a second half sub scored a goal for Colorado.
Here's what the 'Talisman' of ESB, Peter Hirdt, provided:
- In 2013, Rapids substitutes have scored nine goals. Only Real Salt Lake (10) has received more goals from subs this year.
Colorado is the only team with six different players who have scored off the bench:
- Jamie Smith - March 10: COL 1, PHI 2 - Entered in 46', tied game in 68' (WATCH)
- Edson Buddle - May 4: COL 1, TOR 0 - Entered in 46', scored game-winner in 86' (WATCH)
- Deshorn Brown - June 29: COL 4, MON 3 - Entered in 74', tied game in 77' (WATCH)
- Tony Cascio - June 29: COL 4, MON 3 - Entered in 89', scored game-winner in 96+ (WATCH)
- Deshorn Brown - July 4: COL 2, NYRB 0 - Entered in 46', scored in 68' (WATCH)
- Jaime Castrillon - August 3: COL 1, RSL 1 - Entered in 46', tied game in 70' (WATCH)
- Martin Rivero - August 11: COL 1, CHV 1 - Entered in 62', tied game in 80' (WATCH)
- Edson Buddle - August 17: COL 2, VAN 0 - Entered in 77', scored in 78' (WATCH)
- Edson Buddle - August 31: COL 1, SKC 2 - Entered in 70', tied game in 77' (WATCH)
- Buddle has scored three of his four goals off the bench. He’s tied with Philadelphia’s Antoine Hoppenot for goals as a sub this season (3), behind RSL’s Olmes Garcia (5).
- Colorado also had nine goals off the bench in Oscar Pareja’s first season in 2012.
- The club’s previous high for goals from subs was in 2005 when the Rapids scored 11 off the bench
- In 1998, the Rapids set the league record with 18 goals by substitutes.
I asked Edson Buddle how he stays ready and what's allowed him to contribute off the bench this season:
"Coach always tells us the lineup the day before, and I'm able to prepare: Buddle said. "When you come off the bench you just want to change the game, you want to add something to the game, and be available for your teammates in the last moments of a game. Sometimes the opportunity comes your way and just have to take it. It's not going to be pretty all the time. I've scored some nice goals and some nasty one, and they count the same way."
Buddle is a likely option to return to the starting lineup against his former club, the LA Galaxy, on Saturday (8:30 p.m. MT, Altitude TV).