Inside the numbers of Colorado's big win over Seattle
I know it's been a couple of days since the Rapids' 5-1 win over Seattle, but I still wanted to put some context to the result. Here are some stats that jumped out from the big win:
The five goals scored matches the most the Rapids have ever scored in a MLS game.
- Sept. 27, 2008: Colorado 5, New York 4 at Giants Stadium
- May 22, 2002: Colorado 5, New England 2 at Mile High Stadium
- The five goals were the most scored by any team at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.
- This was the 7th time in team history that the Rapids scored four goals in one half. The last time was on April 28, 2012 when the Rapids scored four in the second half of a 4-0 win over Chivas USA at DSG Park.
- The four-goal margin of victory ties for the most in team history. The team has now won seven games by four goals, most recently on April 28, 2012 in a 4-0 win over Chivas USA at DSG Park.
- Deshorn Brown’s goal was officially recorded by MLS at 15 seconds, which still makes it the second fastest in MLS history.
- That was the Rapids’ 13th win of the season (13-9-9, 48 points), tying for the most wins in a season since the end of the shutout/overtime era (2005 = 13-13-6, 45 points).
- The win was the team’s 9th at home this year (9-3-4), the most ever in a season at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park and most at home since 2006 (9-3-4 at INVESCO Field at Mile High).
- The win over Seattle was just the second since the Sounders joined MLS in 2009. The last win over Seattle was on May 29, 2010 (1-0, DSG Park).
The six assists were third most in a match (has happened 7 times):
- May 22, 2002: 9 assists in 5-2 win over New England.
- May 17, 2000: 7 assists in a 4-3 win over New England.
This was rookie Deshorn Brown’s first multi-goal game.
- He is the first Rapids rookie to register a multi-goal game.
- His 9 goals on the season are the most by a Rapids player in a season since 2010 (Omar Cummings, 14).
- This was the third time rookie Dillon Powers registered a goal and assist in the same game.
With Brown surpassing the 2000 minutes played mark (2009), he becomes the third Rapids rookie to play more than 2000 minutes in a season:
- Dillon Powers (current): 2457
- Nat Borchers (2003): 2010
- This was the first time Brown and Powers scored in the same game; it was also Powers’ first assist to Brown.
- Gabriel Torres registered his first MLS assist and goal.
- Torres is the 14th different player to score for Colorado in 2013, and is the 104th player to score a regular season goal for the Rapids since 1996.
Torres is the third Panamanian to score for Colorado:
- Roberto Brown – 3 goals in 2007
- Jorge Dely Valdes – 17 goals in 1999-2000
- Vicente Sanchez registered his first multi-assist MLS game (2). He has 1 goal and 4 assists in his five starts and has three game-winning assists.
- Defender Drew Moor has now scored three of his last four goals against Seattle.
- Clint Irwin registered his 13th win on the season, the most by a Rapids goalkeeper in a season since the end of the shutout / overtime era. Marcus Hahnemann was credited with 16 (1998) and 13 (1997).
- The crowd of 18,076 was the third largest and the fourth sellout of the 2013 season.