U.S. Women's National Team to face China PR on April 6 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Thursday, February 20, 2014) – The U.S. Women’s National Team will face China PR on Sunday, April 6, at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (3 p.m. MT).
The Rapids are also offering a special two-game pack which includes the U.S. match on April 6 and the Rapids game against the San Jose Earthquakes on April 19, with prices starting at just $44, only by calling 303-825-GOAL.
Groups of 20 or more can obtain an order form at ussoccer.com or call 312-528-1290. Ultimate Fan Tickets (special VIP packages that include a premium ticket, a custom-made official U.S. National Team jersey with name and number, VIP access to the field before and after the game, and other unique benefits) are also available exclusively through ussoccer.com.
“China seems to be getting to the stage where they’ve got some increased stability in coaching staff and their player pool, and the results of that stability and planning are beginning to show on the field,” said U.S. head coach Tom Sermanni. “As always, the match will be a chance for our players to make claims for spots on the World Cup qualifying roster later in the fall, but it will also be just before the players head into the NWSL as friendly combatants, so we’ll want to put in quality performances for our home fans.”
The USA has faced China more than any other nation besides Canada and the meeting in April will mark the 51st between the long-time rivals. The USA and China last met during the 2013 Algarve Cup in Portugal, resulting in a 5-0 victory for the Americans.
This match will also serve as Women’s World Cup qualifying preparation for China, which competes in the AFC Women’s Asian Cup in Vietnam in mid-May, a tournament that will send the top five finishers to the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.
The trip to suburban Denver will mark the USA’s third match at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The USA played here in 2008 against Brazil and in 2012 against Australia (in Pia Sundhage’s last game and against a side coached by Tom Sermanni). Both games were played in front of large crowds.
Fans can follow the game on Twitter @ussoccer_wnt
- The USA has an all-time record of 30-8-12 against China.
- Over the course of three months this year (February-March-April), China will have sent its Under-17, Under-20 and senior Women’s National Teams to the USA to play their respective age group teams.
- Christen Press leads the USA in scoring this year with three goals in just 87 minutes of action, but four players have scored twice.
- The U.S. team, which is ranked No. 1 in the latest FIFA Women’s World Rankings, is 3-0-0 in 2014 and has scored 16 goals while allowing zero.
- China is 19th in the current FIFA Women’s World Rankings.
- The USA and China will both be playing in the 2014 Algarve Cup in Portugal, but are in opposite groups.