Third annual giveSPORTS Equipment Drive set for Saturday, August 23
In 2012, following the Colorado wildfires and Aurora Theater tragedy, Kroenke Sports Charities (KSC) teamed up with A Precious Child to collect sports equipment. This came as a result of a dream of former Altitude intern Jessica Ghawi who was killed at the theater. Prior to her death, Jessica’s vision was to help the families of the Colorado wildfires by providing hockey equipment.
In the spirit of this dream after the tragedy that took Jessica, Kroenke Sports Charities expanded the collection drive to include equipment from all sports for those in need throughout the metro area. In the last two years, through the generosity of many people, they have collected/distributed more than 30,000 pieces of equipment as well as more than $20,000 to support the giveSPORTS scholarship program, which provides financial assistance for sports-related registration fees.
On Saturday, August 23 from 7 a.m. to 12 noon, KSC will be hosting the third annual giveSPORTS Equipment Drive, where anyone can drop off new or gently used sports equipment (both children and adult sizes) at the Camry North Lot of the Pepsi Center. An example of accepted equipment is listed below:
- Baseball / Softball – balls, gloves, catchers’ gear, bats, helmets
- Basketball – balls, nets, shoes
- Bicycles and helmets
- Boxing – gloves, head gear
- Football – balls, pads, helmets, cleats
- Golf – clubs, balls, shoes
- Hockey / Roller Hockey – pucks, skates, pads, goalie gear, helmets, sticks
- Lacrosse – balls, sticks, pads, helmets
- Roller Skating / Blading – skates, helmets, pads
- Soccer – balls, cleats, shin guards
- Tennis – balls, rackets, shoes
- Volleyball – balls, nets pads
Additionally, Kroenke Sports Charities, via a donation from Teammates for Kids on behalf of the Colorado Avalanche, will be matching all cash donations up to $5000.