Hometown: Los Angeles, California
Citizenship: USA and Mexico
Birth date: November 12, 1990
Acquired from Chivas USA July 1, 2014 in exchange for Nathan Sturgis.
- Alvarez was restricted to just one MLS appearance in 2015, which came in the Rapids' home opener against New York City FC (3/21). The former Chivas USA midfielder replaced rookie Dominique Badji for the remaining 31 minutes.
- He was in the 18 for the first match of the season, at Philadelphia Union (3/7), and again for the home contest with FC Dallas (4/24).
- Alvarez did enjoy plenty of playing time at USL affiliate Charlotte Independence in their inaugural season. He made 22 appearances (16 starts), scoring two goals and providing four assists, for a total of 1,315 minutes.
- Started six of the 10 games he appeared in during the season, contributing one assist.
- Before joining the Rapids in mid-season, started seven of 11 games for Chivas USA.
- On January 17, 2013, Alvarez was selected as the second overall pick in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft by Chivas USA.
- Had a solid rookie season, starting 26 of 29 appearances, scoring two goals and adding four assists.
- Had a dramatic start to his MLS career, scoring a game-tying, draw-securing goal as a second-half substitute in his MLS debut against the LA Galaxy.
- At the University of Connecticut, started 21 games in his final season with the Huskies, recording seven goals and nine assists
- Named Big East Conference midfielder of the year, as well as being named to the all-Big East first team.
- A semifinalist for the Hermann Trophy in 2012.
- Called up to the U.S. Under-20 national team in 2008 and to Mexico’s U-20 national team in 2009.