Hometown: Plano, Texas
College: University of Notre Dame
Birth date: February 14, 1991
Acquired: Selected by the Rapids with the 11th overall pick (first round) from the 2013 MLS SuperDraft, on January 17 of that year.
- Appeared in 30 games for the season, starting 27.
- Scored five goals and contributed nine assists, while holding down an important position in midfield for most of the season.
- Initially handed the captain’s armband following the season-ending injury sustained by Drew Moor, until the final three games of the season, when Zat Knight took over as skipper.
- Named MLS Rookie of the Year in his debut season, scoring five goals and adding six assists in his 30 games played (29 started).
- Solidified his spot in the starting lineup as a central attacking midfielder.
- Awarded 2013 Rapids MVP honors in end-of-season ceremony.
- Made his MLS debut, playing 75 minutes, in the first game of the season against Dallas (March 2).
- Scored his first professional goal on March 30 against the Timbers.
- A concussion, sustained in the 5-1 home win over Seattle Sounders (Oct. 5), forced a premature end to his rookie season.
- Started 64 out of 78 games at Notre Dame, serving as team captain his senior year.
- Contributed 10 goals and 22 assists throughout his collegiate career.
- Selected as a first team All-American, all-Great Lakes region team, all-Big East team and was a semifinalist for the Hermann Trophy.
- Played internationally for the USA at U-18 and U-20 levels.
- Played in 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt.
- At Plano Senior High School, named 2008-2009 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year
- Named U.S. Soccer Development Academy Co-Player of the Year, and named a 2008 high school All-American.
- Father, Michael Powers, played 16 years with the Dallas Sidekicks in the Major Indoor Soccer League.
- Graduated from Notre Dame’s College of Arts and Letters as a political science major, peace studies minor.