COMMERCE CITY, CO - With their 2-2 draw vs. Chicago last Saturday, the Colorado Rapids extended their home opener undefeated streak to seven games (4-0-3) and began the season with four points for only the third time in team history.
The Rapids now travel to face the Kansas City Wizards in back-to-back games, starting with this weekend. Their first is a regular season meeting on Saturday, April 10 and then the two sides will square off in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualifier on Tuesday, April 13. Click here to view the Matchcenter page.
Saturday's match will be broadcast both over the air and in HD on KWGN Channel 2.
Quick Notes About the Match:
• The Rapids are 1-0-1 (4 points) to start 2010, matching the most points ever for the club to start a season (accomplished both in 2002 and 2007). In 2002, the Rapids defeated DC United at home in the third game, while in 2007 Colorado fell to Dallas 3-1 in Texas in the third game of the year. The only other time the Rapids have started with a three game unbeaten run (besides 2002) was in 2004, tying the first two and winning the third.
• Colorado’s all-time record versus Kansas City in regular season play is 17-19-9. While the Rapids have enjoyed success at home against KC (14-4-5), the Wizards hold a similar advantage when the two sides meet in Kansas City (15-3-4). Colorado’s last win in Kansas City came Sept. 14, 2002. The Wizards have gone 6-0-3 in the nine home meetings since.
• The Rapids won the season series in 2009 by winning in Commerce City and drawing at KC’s CommunityAmerica Ballpark. Prior to last year, the teams had split the previous four season series (3-3-2).
• Colorado will face the Wizards again just a few days after Saturday’s game, as the two sides will meet in a qualifying game for the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, April 13th at Stanley H. Durwood Stadium on the campus of the University of Missouri-Kansas City (8:30 pm MT).
• In 2009, the Rapids also faced a team in back-to-back road meetings in both regular season play and Open Cup qualification. Colorado defeated the LA Galaxy twice in four days last April; first in a 1-0 regular season win at The Home Depot Center and then again in penalty kicks after a scoreless 120 minutes in the Open Cup Qualifier.
• When Omar Cummings and Conor Casey each scored in the team’s home opener versus Chicago last weekend, it was only the second time the dynamic duo had scored in the same game since each joined the club in 2007.
• Since they began with the Rapids, Casey has scored 30 goals while Cummings has scored 18. Prior to Saturday, the only other time the two scored in the same game was in a 5-4 win at New York on Sept. 27, 2008.
• Kansas City began the 2009 season with a 4-0 home win over D.C. United on March 27. Last week, the Wizards played two exhibition games, defeating USL 1st Division club St. Louis Athletica 2-1 and the University of Evansville 5-0.
• Kansas City has made some changes from the end of the 2009 season, including the permanent placement of former Technical Director (and Rapids Alumni Player) Peter Vermes as the team’s head coach. Among the roster changes are the departure of long-time keeper Kevin Hartman (now in Dallas), who was replaced by Danish keeper Jimmy Nielson, and the acquisition of English midfielder Ryan Smith, who scored in the team’s opener and contributed on two other goals. The other key change is the departure of forward/midfielder Claudio Lopez, who signed with the Rapids last week.
For the full match preview of this game, visit the Colorado Rapids' Official Match-Up Page, featuring interactive projected lineups, insider game notes, head-to-head stats, and the latest injury and suspension reports, by clicking here!
Colorado return to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on Sunday, April 18 when they host Toronto FC at 3 p.m. MT. Tickets are still available by clicking here.
RAPIDS OFFICIAL AWAY-GAME VIEWING PARTY DETAILS FOR THIS MATCH:
WHERE: Sobo 151, located at 151 South Broadway in Denver
WHEN: This Saturday, April 10; kickoff is at 6:30 p.m. MT. Get there early to reserve a seat! WHO: Open and free for fans of all ages to attend!
SPECIALS: $2.50 beers, $4 Rapids Shots, and $3 Buffalo Nuggets!
The Rapids look forward to seeing all fans for the viewing party! Don't forget to wear your burgundy!