COMMERCE CITY, CO - The Colorado Rapids host Seattle Sounders FC at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on Saturday, May 29 at 7:00 pm MT.
Despite not playing last week, Colorado, currently 4-3-1 (13 points) are only three points behind Houston, San Jose, and Salt Lake for second place in the West. Seattle comes in at 3-4-3, 12 points, one point behind the Rapids.
- Colorado are 1-1-1 at home in 2010, having ended a seven-game undefeated streak at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park with the 1-0 loss to the LA Galaxy in the last home contest on May 5. This will be the first Saturday night home match of the year.
- Seattle is 1-1-2 on the road this season, earning draws at Salt Lake and Dallas and winning at New York two weeks ago. Their lone loss away from home was at Toronto.
- The two sides are meeting for only the third time in Major League Soccer action since Seattle joined MLS in 2009. Last May, Seattle came away from Dick’s Sporting Goods Park with a 2-2 draw and then defeated Colorado 3-0 at Quest Field a month later in their only two previous meetings.
- In League play, Colorado are coming off a 1-0 road win at DC United on May 15, while Seattle arrives following a 1-0 home loss to San Jose last weekend.
- Both teams played a non-league match in the middle of the week. Seattle defeated Argentine powerhouse Boca Juniors 3-0 on Wednesday at Quest Field, while the Rapids lost to the New York Red Bulls 3-0 on the same night in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play-in game, thus did not qualify for the tournament.
- Seattle returns to Colorado with two-time MLS Cup winning coach Sigi Schmid in charge, who has an all-time record of 15-9-7 against the Rapids, and has only lost to Colorado once in his last 12 meetings (5-1-6).
- The Sounders are lead by veteran goalkeeper Kasey Keller, former Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg, center back Tyrone Marshall, midfielder Osvaldo Alonso and dynamic forwards Freddy Montero and Steve Zakuani.
- Earlier in the year Seattle claimed former Rapids forward Pat Noonan off waivers, and last week they signed defender Jeff Parke. However, the club received bad news on Monday when they placed veteran Colombian centerback Jhon Hurtado on the injured list with a torn left ACL. Alonso left Wednesday’s game versus Boca after 20 minute when he aggravated a thigh injury and is now doubtful for Saturday.
- It will be interesting to see how designated player Ljungberg reacts on the field after coach Schmid – following last week’s home loss to San Jose – told the press:
- "If throwing his hands up motivates him and makes him work harder, it's not an issue," Schmid said about Ljunberg. "But if arguing with the referee takes away from time that you could be helping the team than it is an issue…"As a leader, he's got that responsibility on his shoulders to help guide the team.”
- Ljunberg’s reply: "I've played in the biggest teams in the world, and you need to get upset if the ref isn't doing the right thing as you think. And if you lose your passion, you won't play."
- The previous week, Schmid similarly publicly called out forward Montero. Montero started the New York game on the bench, but then entered in the second half and scored the game-winning goal with less than 10 minutes to play.
INJURY REPORT: (UPDATED: as of May 28, 2010)
COLORADO: OUT: DF Kosuke Kimura (L ankle stress fracture); MF Ciaran O'Brien (L hip sprain); FW Ross Schunk (R ACL tear); DOUBTFUL: None; QUESTIONABLE: DF Julien Baudet (L knee sprain); MF Jamie Smith (R hamstring strain); PROBABLE: DF Scott Palguta (L calf strain)
SEA: OUT: FW Nate Jaqua (lower abdominal fascial tear); MF Michael Fucito (R knee contusion); DF Jhon Kennedy Hurtado (L knee ACL tear); DOUBTFUL: MF Peter Vagenas (R quadriceps strain); MF Osvaldo Alonso (R quadriceps strain); QUESTIONABLE: MF Brad Evans (L knee contusion); PROBABLE: None
DISCIPLINARY / INTERNATIONAL:
ON CAUTION WARNING
NATIONAL TEAM CALL-UPS
RAPIDS VS. SEATTLE HEAD-TO-HEAD:
Last seasons’ meetings:
TEAM UNIFORM COLORS:
English Television: KWGN-Channel 2, MLS DirectKick, and MLS MatchDay Live (MLSsoccer.com).
Colorado next match after this Saturday is their final game before the MLS break for the 2010 World Cup as they host Columbus next Saturday, June 5 at 7pm at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.