COMMERCE CITY, CO - The Colorado Rapids are on the road again, traveling for a midweek contest against the Chicago Fire on Wednesday, June 9 at Toyota Park at 7 p.m. MT.
Colorado, with a record of 6-3-1 (19 points), are currently in third place in the Western Conference, one point behind Salt Lake but with one less game played. Chicago stands in fourth place in the East with a record of 3-3-4- (13 points)
- Colorado are coming off a 1-0 home win over the Columbus Crew on Saturday, courtesy of a Drew Moor header off a Jamie Smith freekick with only five minutes remaining. It was the Rapids third consecutive shutout, extending their current shutout streak to 339 minutes. The last time the Rapids surrendered a goal was over a month ago, when LA’s Alan Gordon put the Galaxy ahead 1-0 in the 21st minute of the May 5 game.
- Chicago is also coming off a home win, defeating the Philadelphia Union 2-1 at Toyota Park on Saturday night. Midfielder Baggio Husidic scored in the 14th minute and winger Marco Pappa put one away in the 74th to give the Fire victory.
- In League play, the Rapids are 3-2 on the road, winning their last contest at DC 1-0 on May 15.
- Chicago are 2-1-2 at home to start the 2010 campaign following Saturday’s win.
- Colorado are 11-16-6 all-time against the Fire, including 3-13-1 when Chicago hosts the match. The Rapids last win in Chicago was a 3-0 victory at Soldier Field on August 14, 2004.
- The two teams will be closing out the season series on Wednesday. The first meeting of the year ended in a 2-2 draw at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on April 3. Colorado had a 2-1 halftime lead behind a goal from Omar Cummings and penalty kick by Conor Casey, sandwiched by Chicago’s Colin Johns header off a corner kick. The Fire Brian McBride put away a penalty kick in the second half to allow Chicago to go home with the point and spoil the Rapids home opener.
- The Rapids are currently second in MLS with only seven goals scored against this season. Only LA has been on scored on fewer times (3). Of the seven goals scored on Colorado, six have come off set pieces: two penalty kicks; one direct freekick; two indirect freekicks; and one on a corner kick. The only goal conceded from the run of play was at San Jose on May 1.
- Omar Cummings, who scored in both of the first two games this season, has not scored in the last eight. He started in a similar fashion in ’09, scoring in the first two and then going blank for the next eight games. He ended his goal drought on June 6, 2009 and scored four goals over his next three games. Cummings is the Rapids all-time leading goal-scorer against Chicago with four goals (in only three games).
- The Rapids will be without Pablo Mastroeni, who will serve a one-game suspension after receiving a red card on Saturday, June 5.
- DID YOU KNOW: With 19 points after 10 games, the Rapids have tied the best start in team history. The club also had 19 points after 10 to start the 2002 season.
- Brian McBride leads the Fire with four goals scored on the season, and Patrick Nyarko leads with six assists. Marco Pappa and Baggio Husidik each have three goals, while Pappa also had registered four assists.
- Only Nyarko and defender CJ Brown have started all 10 games for the Fire, with Pappa and defender Wilman Conde next, each with 9 starts.
- When Chicago won on Saturday, it was their first win since defeating Houston 2-0 back on April 24.
INJURY REPORT: (as of June 8, 2010)
COLORADO: OUT: DF Kosuke Kimura (L ankle stress fracture); MF Ciaran O'Brien (L hip sprain); FW Ross Schunk (R ACL tear); PROBABLE: DF Julien Baudet (L knee strain); MF Jamie Smith (R hamstring strain)
CHI: OUT: FW Calen Carr (R quad strain); MF John Thorrington (L quad strain); DF Tim Ward (L calf strain)
DISCIPLINARY / INTERNATIONAL:
ON CAUTION WARNING
NATIONAL TEAM CALL-UPS
RAPIDS VS. CHICAGO HEAD-TO-HEAD:
Last two seasons’ meetings:
TEAM UNIFORM COLORS:
REFEREE: Paul Ward. MLS Career: 15 games; FC/gm: 24.1; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 5; pens: 1
SAR (bench): Joe Fletcher; JAR (opposite): Peter Manikowski; 4th: Abbey Okulaja
English Television: The game will be televised exclusively on MLS DirectKick, and MLS MatchDay Live (MLSsoccer.com). The official away game viewing party will be at C.B. & Potts -6575 S. Greenwood Plaza Blvd. Englewood, CO 80111
Colorado and all MLS teams will take a two week break for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. The Rapids next match is on June 26 when they visit the Houston Dynamo. Colorado then returns home for the annual 4th of July game, hosting the New York Red Bulls.