This Saturday, July 28, the Rapids will celebrate Military Appreciation Night at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, which will consist of a series of events throughout the match between the Rapids and Seattle Sounders FC. The festivities begin with the 4th Infantry Division Band performing outside the Cantina at 6:15, and run through the end of the match. One of the highlights of the event will be the presentation of a $10,000 check to the United Services Organization from the Colorado Rapids, Coca-Cola Refreshments and Walmart.
Other activities that will take place both inside and outside the stadium include the following:
- In addition to their pregame performance outside the Cantina from 6:15-6:45, the 4th Infantry Division Band will play inside the stadium throughout the match.
- The National Anthem will be sung by Specialist Senobia Smith of the 4th Infantry Band.
- Colorado Army National Guard Staff Sergeant Mark Jenkins, who is suffering from leukemia and in need of a bone marrow transplant, will be honored at halftime. A bone marrow registry booth will be above Section 114 on the concourse, to help find Staff Sgt. Jenkins and so many others find a compatible donor.
- A special Item of the Match will be available from the team store and souvenir locations: a Rapids camouflage hat available for $15 (right)
- A ceremony will take place at halftime where 100 future and reenlisting soldiers will be sworn into service.
- Representing the different branches of the military will be Color Guards, informational booths on the concourse, and Rapids Mascots in special outfits.
- The Coca-Cola Recycling Educational Vehicle will be outside the stadium to teach fans about recycling.
- Several military vehicles will be in and around the stadium, and camouflage will be visible throughout the stadium.
- A free sample of Coke Zero will be distributed as fans leave the stadium.
- The Rapids Sidekicks will be selling a commemorative t-shirt for $20 (right) at the Community Table above Section 129 starting at 6 pm. Each shirt will be signed by a different player. At the end of the season the Sidekicks will designate a local non-profit which will receive a grant from Kroenke Sports Charities for all funds collected throughout the year.
The event will also include honors for several individuals in the United States Armed Forces, with opportunities for members of the military to attend the game and participate in the various match presentation events on the field. For tickets call 303-825-GOAL or CLICK HERE.