An update on Colorado Rapids Academy products playing in schools across the country:
- Colorado Rapids Academy product Dillon Serna scored his first collegiate goal on Sept. 16, contributing to the University of Akron’s 5-0 drubbing of South Florida. Akron are currently 5-1-2 (ranked #7 nationally), and Brighton native Serna has played in all eight matches, starting seven and adding three assists for the 2010 NCAA Tournament Champions.
- James Rogers, a Rapids Academy player from 2009-2011 and sophomore at the 4th ranked University of New Mexico, scored his third goal of the season against Fairfield on Sept. 21 at the Nike Lobo Invitational. Just eight matches into the season, the forward has already matched his freshman year scoring record, when he scored three goals in 22 games played.
- University of San Francisco senior Brendan Roslund has played the full 90 minutes of every match this season in goal, helping the Dons to a 2-1-2 record thus far. Roslund, a Denver native, was part of the Colorado Rapids Academy system from 2007-2009. He was named the Colorado Rapids 2009 Academy Player of the Year, and earned West Coast Conference Goalkeeper of the Year Honors for USF in 2011.
Elsewhere in the Rapids Academy:
- The Colorado Rapids Under-16 Boys team won their first two matches of the 2012/13 U.S. Soccer Development Academy season. On Saturday, Sept. 22, they downed Lonestar SC Academy 2-1 and then shutout Classics Elite 6-0 on Sunday, driven by a hat trick from Jovanni Chaves from Longmont. The team will return to Colorado to play their first match of the season at Dick’s Sporting Good Park on Sept. 29, taking on Texas Rush. ROSTER, SCHEDULE, RESULTS.
- The Colorado Rapids Under-18 squad also went undefeated in their first two matches of the 2012/13 Development Academy season last weekend. They tied Lonestar SC Academy 2-2 on Saturday, Sept. 22, and defeated Classics Elite 1-0 the following day from an Isaac Martinez goal. Martinez and Ricardo Perez, who scored on Saturday, both train regularly with the Colorado Rapids first team at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The U-18s will return to Denver to face Texas Rush on Saturday. ROSTER, SCHEDULE, RESULTS.