The first road trip of the year is underway.
The Colorado Rapids touched down in Phoenix, Ariz. around 1 pm on Sunday and proceeded to take a two-hour bus to Tucson, where they'll stay, train, and play three preseason games this week. The travel party consisted of 26 players and 11 staff members, including coaches, trainers, team operations, and media relations. More players and staff will be arriving before the first match.
The Rapids are participating in the Desert Friendlies, a preseason tournament presented by FC Tucson. Colorado will face the Portland Timbers on Tue., Jan. 29 (11 am MT), the Houston Dynamo on Thurs., Jan. 31 (6 pm MT), and the San Jose Earthquakes on Sat., Feb. 2 (11 MT). All training sessions and matches will be held at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson.
* not under contract
Head coach: Oscar Pareja
Assistant coaches: Wilmer Cabrera, Paul Caffrey, Dave Dir, Steve Cooke
Athletic Trainers: Jaime Rojas, Michael Heitkamp
Team operations: Jeff Mathews, Erik Carslon, Brandy Lay
Media Relations: David Lindholm
- Technical Director Paul Bravo will arrive on Monday and President Tim Hinchey will arrive Wednesday.
- Defender Davy Armstrong has back spasms that have not subsided and will remain in Colorado to see the team physician this week.
- Edson Buddle will continue rehabbing his right knee in California and is expected to join the team in Colorado next week.
- Kevin Harbottle had his visa appointment in Chile on Thursday. Once he receives his passport back, he'll be ready to come to the United States. If it happens early this week, it's possible that he could join the team in Arizona.
- Trialists Joel Helmick (gk), Carlos Diaz (forward), and Luke Vercollone (mid/def) have been released.