2013 International Player Slots
In 2013, a total of 152 international slots are divided among the 19 MLS clubs. Each club began with eight international slots, which are tradable. There is no limit on the number of international slots on each club’s roster. CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE MLS ROSTER RULES & REGULATIONS
The remaining roster slots must belong to domestic players. For clubs based in the United States, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).
|Colorado Rapids International Players of Dec. 3, 2013|
|1. Martin Rivero||MF||Argentina||Active|
|2. Deshorn Brown||FW||Jamaica||Active|
|3. Brenton Griffiths||DF||Jamaica||Active|
|4. German Mera||DF||Colombia||Active|
|5. Gabriel Torres||FW||Panama||Active|
|6. Vicente Sanchez||MF||Uruguay||Active|
|Charles Eloundou||FW||Cameroon||Inactive - ITC/Visa|
- As of Dec. 3, 2013, the Rapids own nine international player slots, of which six are accounted for after the team announced that Ecuadorian Diego Calderon would not return in 2014.
- Of Colorado's other foriegn-born players (as of Dec. 3, 2013): Shane O'Neill (Ireland) and Danny Mwanga (The Congo) are U.S. citizens, while Jamie Smith (Scotland), Atiba Harris (St. Kitts & Nevis), Jaime Castrillon (Colombia), and Hendry Thomas (Honduras) hold green cards.
Over the years the Rapids have acquired international slots but also traded some away. Here's how the nine slots were acquired (as of Oct. 18, 2013):
- 2005 MLS assigned eight (8) International Slots to each team
- + 1 (9) = On June 29, 2005, the Rapids acquired a permanent International spot from Real Salt Lake in exchange for the rights to Adolfo Gregorio.
- - 1 (8) = On Sept. 14, 2010, the Rapids trade an international slot to NY in the Macoumba Kandji / Mehdi Ballouchy trade through the 2012 season.
- - 1 (7) = On Nov. 24, 2010, the Rapids traded an international slot to Vancouver in exchange for the rights to Sanna Nyassi through the 2031 season.
- - 1 (6) = On Jan. 20, 2012 the Rapids traded an international slot to Vancouver for three seasons in exchange for allocation money. On December 3, 2012, the Rapids extended that traded slot for the 2015-16 season in exchange for Atiba Harris.
- + 1 (7) = December 2012 the Rapids re-acquired an original International slot from New York that was originally sent to the Red Bulls on Sept. 14, 2010.
- + 1 (8) = On Jan. 16, 2013, the Rapids acquired an International Slot from Chicago in the Jeff Larentowicz trade through the 2013 season.
- + 1 (9) = On June 17, 2013, the Rapids acquired an International Slot from LA in the Pablo Mastroeni trade through the 2014 season.
- As of Oct. 18, 2013, Colorado will hold eight international spots in 2014 after one returns to Chicago following the 2013 season (see Larentowicz trade).