International Player Slots
In 2014, a total of 152 international slots are divided among the 19 MLS clubs. Each club began with eight international slots, which are tradable. There is no limit on the number of international slots on each club’s roster. CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE MLS ROSTER RULES & REGULATIONS
The remaining roster slots must belong to domestic players. For clubs based in the United States, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).
|Colorado Rapids International Players of June 11, 2014|
|1. Deshorn Brown||FW||Jamaica||Active|
|2. Gabriel Torres||FW||Panama||Active|
|3. Vicente Sanchez||MF||Uruguay||Active|
|4. Charles Eloundou||FW||Cameroon||Active|
|5. Jose Mari||FW||Spain||Active|
|6. Thomas Piermayr||DF||Austria||Active|
- As of August 14, 2014 the Rapids owned eight international player slots, with the 8th acquired for the 2014 season from Houston. In exchange Colorado loaned Tony Cascio to the Dynamo for the 2014 season.
Over the years the Rapids have acquired international slots but also traded some away. Here's how the eight slots were acquired (as of August 14, 2014):
- 2005 MLS assigned eight (8) International Slots to each team
- + 1 (9) = On June 29, 2005, the Rapids acquired a permanent International spot from Real Salt Lake in exchange for the rights to Adolfo Gregorio.
- - 1 (8) = On Sept. 14, 2010, the Rapids traded an international slot to NY in the Macoumba Kandji / Mehdi Ballouchy trade through the 2012 season.
- - 1 (7) = On Nov. 24, 2010, the Rapids traded an international slot to Vancouver in exchange for the rights to Sanna Nyassi through the 2031 season.
- - 1 (6) = * On Jan. 20, 2012 the Rapids traded an international slot to Vancouver for three seasons in exchange for allocation money. On December 3, 2012, the Rapids extended that traded slot for the 2015 and 2016 seasons in exchange for Atiba Harris.
- -1 (5) = On July 13, 2012 the Rapids acquired Tyson Wahl from the Montreal Impact in exchange for an International Slot through the 2014 season.
- + 1 (6) = December 2012 the Rapids re-acquired an original International slot from New York that was originally sent to the Red Bulls on Sept. 14, 2010.
- + 1 (7) = On Jan. 16, 2013, the Rapids acquired an International Slot from Chicago in the Jeff Larentowicz trade through the 2013 season.
- + 1 (8) = ** On June 17, 2013, the Rapids acquired an International Slot from LA in the Pablo Mastroeni trade through the 2014 season.
- - 1 (7) = January 2013 the slot acquired in the Larentowicz trade returned to Chicago (see Jan. 16, 2013).
- + 1 (8) = ***On Jan. 21 acquired a slot for the 2014 season from Houston in the Tony Cascio loan.