International Player Slots
In 2013, a total of 152 international slots are divided among the 19 MLS clubs. Each club began with eight international slots, which are tradable. There is no limit on the number of international slots on each club’s roster. CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE MLS ROSTER RULES & REGULATIONS
The remaining roster slots must belong to domestic players. For clubs based in the United States, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).
|Colorado Rapids International Players of Jan. 21, 2014|
|1. Deshorn Brown||FW||Jamaica||Active|
|2. Gabriel Torres||FW||Panama||Active|
|3. Vicente Sanchez||MF||Uruguay||Active|
|4. Brenton Griffiths||DF||Jamaica||Active|
|5. Charles Eloundou||FW||Cameroon||Active|
- As of Jan. 21, 2014 the Rapids owned nine international player slots, with the 9th acquired for the 2014 season from Houston. In exchange Colorado loaned Tony Cascio to the Dynamo for the 2014 season.
- The same day, the Rapids officially signed Cameroonian forward Charles Eloundou, who occupies the fifth spot as of Jan. 21.
- Of Colorado's other foriegn-born players (as of Jan. 21, 2014): Shane O'Neill (Ireland) is a U.S. Citizen and newly acquired Marvin Chavez (Honduras) has a green card.
Over the years the Rapids have acquired international slots but also traded some away. Here's how the nine slots were acquired (as of Jan. 21, 2014):
- 2005 MLS assigned eight (8) International Slots to each team
- + 1 (9) = On June 29, 2005, the Rapids acquired a permanent International spot from Real Salt Lake in exchange for the rights to Adolfo Gregorio.
- - 1 (8) = On Sept. 14, 2010, the Rapids traded an international slot to NY in the Macoumba Kandji / Mehdi Ballouchy trade through the 2012 season.
- - 1 (7) = On Nov. 24, 2010, the Rapids traded an international slot to Vancouver in exchange for the rights to Sanna Nyassi through the 2031 season.
- - 1 (6) = * On Jan. 20, 2012 the Rapids traded an international slot to Vancouver for three seasons in exchange for allocation money. On December 3, 2012, the Rapids extended that traded slot for the 2015 and 2016 seasons in exchange for Atiba Harris.
- + 1 (7) = December 2012 the Rapids re-acquired an original International slot from New York that was originally sent to the Red Bulls on Sept. 14, 2010.
- + 1 (8) = On Jan. 16, 2013, the Rapids acquired an International Slot from Chicago in the Jeff Larentowicz trade through the 2013 season.
- + 1 (9) = ** On June 17, 2013, the Rapids acquired an International Slot from LA in the Pablo Mastroeni trade through the 2014 season.
- - 1 (8) = January 2013 the slot acquired in the Larentowicz trade returned to Chicago (see Jan. 16, 2013).
- + 1 (9) = ***On Jan. 21 acquired a slot for the 2014 season from Houston in the Tony Cascio loan.
* The three MLS clubs based in Canada – Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC – began with eight international slots, but their domestic slots may be filled with either Canadian or U.S. domestic players. MLS clubs based in Canada are required to have a minimum of three Canadian domestic players on their rosters.