Hometown: Kumasi, Ghana
Birthdate: December 25, 1994
Acquired: On loan from Columbus Crew SC for the 2019 season in exchange for $125k in TAM.
- Made 23 regular-season appearances (20 starts as a center back) for Crew SC, registering one goal.
- Named to the MLS Team of the Week after playing all 90 minutes in the first match of the season on the road against Toronto FC (3/3). A
- Following his start in a road contest against Seattle Sounders FC (5/5), Abubakar was named to MLSSoccer.com’s Team of the Week.
- Abubakar scored the game-winning goal off of a corner kick in the 85th minute of a road match against the New England Revolution (5/19).
- Made one appearance for Crew SC in the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs. Abubakar made a substitute appearance in the Eastern Conference Semifinals Leg 1 match against the New York Red Bulls (11/4).
- Abubakar made seven appearances (six starts) for Crew SC in 2017, all at centerback, and scored one goal.
- He made his MLS and Crew SC regular-season debut in a road match against Minnesota United FC (July 4), playing the entire 90 minutes.
- He earned MLSSoccer.com’s Team of the Week honors for his performance in a home match against the Chicago Fire (8/12).
- Abubakar made three appearances (one start) at centerback in the Audi 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs.
- While on loan with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, he made five appearances, all from the start.
- Abubakar has international experience playing for the Ghana Under-20 National Team.
- Abubakar played three seasons at the University of Dayton, making 61 appearances (60 starts), scoring four goals and recording six assists during his time there.
- He was chosen as the Atlantic 10 Conference Defender of the Year, making the Second Team NSCAA All-Midwest Region and the First Team Atlantic 10 All-Conference his senior year (2016).
- The previous year, the defender was named the Dayton Defensive Player of the Year in addition to earning First Team All-Ohio and First Team Atlantic 10 All-Conference Team honors (2015).
- In his first season with the Dayton Flyers, Abubakar made the Second Team All-Ohio and the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team (2014). He also played with the Michigan Bucks, winning the United Soccer League’s Premier Development League Championship and being named the USL PDL Defender of the Year (2016).
- Abubakar is the son of Amida Ahmed and Abubakar Ahmed. He has two younger siblings. Abubakar follows basketball and his hobbies include playing the video game FIFA. Abubakar does not play any other sports and says that sometimes he prefers playing soccer over eating. He enjoys watching the television show Merlin. Growing up, Abubakar looked up to Brazilian National Team and Paris Saint-Germain defender Thiago Silva. His favorite soccer memory is winning the 2016 USL PDL Championship with the Michigan Bucks. Abubakar is trilingual and he speaks the following languages: English, Twi and Hausa.