The Expansion Draft was broadcast live on ESPNEWS from the ESPNZone in Anaheim the SkyBox Sports Grille in Salt Lake City and ESPNZone in New York City where MLS Commissioner Don Garber announced the expansion team selections.
After Chivas selected De la Torre and in accordance with MLS rules for the Expansion Draft the Rapids protected midfielder Seth Trembly. After Chivas selected Stewart the team protected goalkeeper Scott Vallow.
"It is regrettable that we lost quality players like Antonio and Jeff but this is part of the process of adding new expansion teams to our league said Charlie Wright Governor of the Colorado Rapids. "We wish them both well with their new team."
De la Torre who came to the Rapids prior to the 2004 season started in 28 games for the Black and Blue and recorded five (5) assists. The Mexican-born footballer played most of the games this season on the right side of the Rapids’ defense and became known as a dead-ball specialist for the Rapids over the course of the year.
"It’s always hard to have to pack your bags and move your life so suddenly to another city but I’m glad to be able to join a club with the tradition that Chivas USA carries said de la Torre.
"I leave behind friendships and relationships with people in the Rapids organization that I will miss....it was the Rapids who gave me my first break into MLS. I also want to thank the Colorado fans for all their support this year and I look forward to seeing them next season even if it is from the other side of the field."
Stewart who was selected by the Rapids in the 2002 MLS SuperDraft attempted to make a heroic comeback in 2004 after suffering a severe knee injury in June 2003. Stewart had been one of the most consistent defenders through the early part of the 2003 season before tearing his ACL against the LA Galaxy in the first-ever match played at the Home Depot Center.
The Rapids retain the rights of players that also were unprotected going into today’s draft but who were not selected by Chivas or Real Salt Lake: Joey DiGiamarino Seth Trembly Scott Vallow and senior international Darryl Powell.
The MLS trade window opens again on 9:00 a.m. ET on Monday November 22 and does not close until the trade deadline on September 15 2005 in line with the closing of the second international transfer window.
The results of the 10-round Expansion Draft follow:
CD Chivas USA: (1) MF Arturo Torres (2) DF Orlando Perez (3) DF Ezra Hendrickson (4) MF Francisco Gomez (5) DF Antonio de la Torre (6) FW Matt Taylor (7) DF Craig Ziadie (8) FW Jamil Walker (9) FW Thiago Martins (10) DF Jeff Stewart
Real Salt Lake: (1) MF Andy Williams (2) GK DJ Countess (3) MF Pablo Brenes (4) MF Brian Kamler (5) DF Nelson Akwari (6) FW Chris Brown (7) DF Matt Behncke (8) DF Rusty Pierce (9) MF Kevin Ara (10) FW Erick Scott
Among other highlights of the 2004 Expansion Draft:
(1) CD Chivas USA claimed four defenders three midfielders and three forwards including de la Torre the only Mexican-born player in MLS as well as three other players of Mexican descent.
(2) Real Salt Lake came away with one goalkeeper three defenders four midfielders and two forwards.
(3) CD Chivas USA selected right back Craig Ziadie who played for the Jamaican National Team in a 1-1 tie last Wednesday in a World Cup Qualifier in Columbus.
(4) Real Salt Lake selected D.J. Countess and Nelson Akwari former U.S. Under-17 players under current Real Salt Lake Head Coach John Ellinger.
(5) CD Chivas USA selected two players who did not play a minute in the 2004 regular season due to injury: forward Thiago Martins suffered a second torn left ACL suffered while with D.C. United and former Colorado Rapids defender Jeff Stewart re-injured his knee during preseason.
(6) Defender Ezra Hendrickson returns to Los Angeles with CD Chivas USA after spending all or part of seven seasons with the Los Angeles Galaxy.
(7) Torres and Hendrickson are the only two players who have previously played for Chivas USA's rivals the Los Angeles Galaxy.
(8) CD Chivas USA Expansion Draft selection and former Colorado Rapids player Antonio de la Torre born in Guadalajara Mexico has connections to CD Chivas Guadalajara: his uncle Jose "Chepo" de la Torre was a former player of a Chivas Guadalajara championship team and his other uncle Eduardo de la Torre is a former coach for CD Chivas Guadalajara and current coach of Santos Laguna.
(9) Real Salt Lake selections Pablo Brenes and Erick Scott both appeared in the latest edition of the Olympics in Athens for Costa Rica.
(10) Real Salt Lake will represent the sixth MLS team in the career of playmaker Andy Williams since 1998.
(11) The maximum three players were selected from both the Chicago Fire and D.C. United including three players from the Fire by the end of Round 2.
(12) All ten current MLS teams had at least one player selected.
CD Chivas USA - MF Arturo Torres (Los Angeles Galaxy protect: DF Paul Broome)
Real Salt Lake - MF Andy Williams (Chicago Fire protect: DF Evan Whitfield)
2 CD Chivas USA - MF Orlando Perez (Chicago Fire protect: MF Scott Buete)
2 Real Salt Lake -GK D.J. Countess (Maximum three players selected from Chicago Fire).
3 CD Chivas USA - D Ezra Hendrickson (D.C. United protect: DF Ryan Nelsen).
3 Real Salt Lake -MF Pablo Brenes (MetroStars protect: GK Zach Wells).
4 CD Chivas USA -D Francisco Gomez (Kansas City Wizards protect: DF Alex Zotinca).
4 Real Salt Lake - M/D Brian Kamler (New England Revolution protect: DF Joey Franchino).
5 CD Chivas USA - D Antonio de la Torre (Colorado Rapids protect: MF Seth Trembly).
5 Real Salt Lake - D Nelson Akwari (Columbus Crew protect: FW David Testo).
6 CD Chivas USA - F Matt Taylor (Kansas City Wizards protect: FW Igor Simutenkov).
6 Real Salt Lake -F Chris Brown (San Jose Earthquakes protect: GK Jon Conway).
7 CD Chivas USA - D Craig Ziadie (MetroStars protect: GK Jonny Walker).
7 Real Salt Lake - D Matt Behncke (FC Dallas protect: DF Philip Salyer).
8 CD Chivas USA - F Jamil Walker (San Jose Earthquakes protect: DF Wes Hart).
8 Real Salt Lake - D Rusty Pierce (New England Revolution protect: DF Carlos Llamosa).
9 CD Chivas USA - F Thiago Martins (D.C. United protect: GK Troy Perkins).
9 Real Salt Lake - MF Kevin Ara (Maximum three players selected from D.C. United).
10 CD Chivas USA - D Jeff Stewart (Colorado Rapids protect: GK Scott Vallow).
10 Real Salt Lake - F Erick Scott (from Columbus Crew)
End of 2004 MLS Expansion Draft.