COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Friday, June 21, 2013) – The Colorado Rapids will celebrate Freedom Weekend with a series of events on July 4 and July 7, including two home games, fireworks displays after both, as well as live music, family activities, and more. Full information can be found at www.4thFestColorado.com.
On Thursday, July 4, the Rapids and Commerce City will team up again for the 18th annual 4thFest, an Independence Day Celebration presented by Westerra Credit Union. The community festival starts at 5:00 p.m. and will feature the 4thFest Family Activity Zone with activities like karaoke, a zip line and climbing wall, arts and crafts, and face painting. For adults 21 years of age and older, Eighteen76 (formerly the Cantina) and the Budweiser Build-a-Bar will be open, a mechanical bull will be on site, and the supporters will host their Centennial 38 tailgate.
The Rapids will take on the New York Red Bulls at 7:30 p.m. in a match presented by HealthONE, as the team looks to improve on its 12-3-2 (W-L-T) record on Independence Day games. After the match, fans are allowed on the field to watch one of the largest fireworks displays in the state of Colorado. Outside the stadium near Eighteen76, the music starts with a DJ from 7:45-9:30, followed by a live band (to be announced) at 9:30. The first 15,000 guests through the gates will also receive a special megaphone courtesy of HealthONE. A full timeline of events is available at www.4thFestColorado.com.
On Sunday, July 7, the Rapids will continue its celebration by hosting Military Appreciation Night presented by Coca-Cola at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, with a number of community events also taking place at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. Xportiva, a special community event in which all of Denver’s professional sports teams host interactive displays and demonstrations, will open at 11:00 a.m. in the parking lots outside of Eighteen76. The match against D.C. United starts at 7:30 p.m. and will feature numerous tributes to the U.S. Armed Forces, including a check presentation to the USO, and will again be followed by a performance from a DJ (to be announced) and an impressive fireworks display.
Both July 4 and 7 will have 92.5 the Wolf as the official media partner, and on-air personalities Jonathan Wilde and Erica Cobb will co-host on both nights, with the show streaming live over the air. Details on both days the event, including ticketing information, can be found at www.4thfestcolorado.com or by calling 303-825-GOAL.
18th Annual 4thFest at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
Thursday, July 4 – Timeline
- 4:00 p.m. – Parking lots open
- 5:00 - Outdoor festival begins
- 7:30 – Colorado Rapids take on New York Red Bulls
- 7:45 - 9:30 – DJ performs outside Eighteen76
- 9:30 – Live band (to be announced) on stage outside Eighteen76
- 10:00 - Fireworks show begins, with viewing areas inside the stadium and in parking lots around the stadium (in-stadium viewing only open to those with valid match ticket)
Military Appreciation Night at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
Sunday, July 7 – Timeline
- 11:00 a.m. – Xportiva community festival opens
- 7:30 p.m. – Colorado Rapids take on D.C. United
- 7:30 – 9:30 – In-stadium tributes to members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- 9:30 – Live DJ performance inside the stadium
- 10:00 – Fireworks show begins, with viewing areas inside the stadium and in parking lots around the stadium (in-stadium viewing only open to those with valid match ticket)