San Jose Earthquakes vs Colorado Rapids
2018 MLS Regular Season — Week 34
Avaya Stadium — San Jose
October 21 — 3:00 PM MT
WATCH: ESPN+, MLS LIVE on DAZN (Canada)
The San Jose Earthquakes are looking to snap a six-match losing streak, while the Colorado Rapids are trying to win consecutive games for the third time this season when the Western Conference foes meet Sunday at Avaya Stadium.
The Quakes are coming off a 3-1 home loss to the New York Red Bulls on October 6, while the Rapids ended a seven-game losing streak by defeating Minnesota United FC, 2-0 at home on Saturday.
San Jose Earthquakes
San Jose (4-20-8) were overwhelmed by the New York Red Bulls, 3-1, on October 6 at Avaya Stadium.
Alex Muyl and Bradley Wright-Phillips scored three minutes apart midway through the first half, and Aaron Long made it 3-0 five minutes into the second half. Chris Wondolowski scored his 144th career goal in the 83rd minute, moving him to within a goal of tying Landon Donovan’s all-time MLS mark.
“I want him to get the record, but I still have to coach the team and juggle, balance 27 guys,” Steve Ralston said. “Wondo is going to play again in these next couple games, and he’s going to get more chances to score.”
- Suspended: None
- Suspended after next caution: M - Luis Felipe
- International duty: None
- Injury Report: OUT: D - Kevin Partida (right ACL reconstruction surgery and partial meniscectomy), M - Jahmir Hyka (facial surgery)
“No one has thrown the towel in, no one is thinking about the end of the season. That, for me, is really important,” Anthony Hudson said. “I think also we got a little bit of luck. I don’t think we had that luck in the past, and it went our way tonight for the first time for us this season. I’m just proud of the fact that we’re in our position and the players are fully committed and are working incredibly hard for each other. Today was a real team performance. In this late stage of the season, this is important.”
- Suspended: F - Yannick Boli, D - Tommy Smith
- Suspended after next caution: M - Johan Blomberg, F - Jack McBean, F - Niki Jackson
- International duty: None
- Injury Report: OUT: F - Jack McBean (foot/toe injury), M - Sam Nicholson (back injury), D - Danny Wilson (back injury); QUESTIONABLE: D - Kortne Ford (knee injury), D - Edgar Castillo (hamstring injury)
- Overall: San Jose Earthquakes 29 wins, 90 goals … Colorado Rapids 21 wins, 78 goals … 15 draws
- At San Jose: Earthquakes 16 wins, 51 goals … Rapids 8 wins, 35 goals … 7 draws
- Last meeting at San Jose: San Jose Earthquakes 1, Colorado Rapids 0 (July 29, 2017)
Referee: Tim Ford
Assistant Referees: Michael Kampmeinert, Apolinar Mariscal
4th Official: Joseph Dickerson
VAR: Christina Unkel