The Big Picture
Colorado Rapids 2 (9-0-3, 32 pts) defeated LAFC2 (1-6-4, 7 pts) in a 0-1 victory at Titan Stadium on Sunday night for the team's ninth win of the season. Midfielder Yosuke Hanya gave the Rapids its lone goal of the night off an assist from Marlon Vargas in the 61st minute of the match. Hanya continues to lead the league and the team in goals scored with nine to his name in the 2023 season. With tonight's win, Rapids 2 extends its unbeaten streak to 12 games and continues to lead both the Western Conference and the league with a first place standing.
- Rapids 2 captured its ninth win of the season, extending their unbeaten streak to 12 games in tonight's match versus LAFC2.
- Rapids 2 remains the only team in the league with an unbeaten record and continues to maintain its first place standing in both the Western Conference and the league overall.
- Midfielder Yosuke Hanya netted his ninth goal of the season in tonight's match versus LAFC2. He continues to lead the league and the team in goals this season.
- Midfielder Marlon Vargas recorded his fourth assist of the season in tonight's game versus LAFC2. He is now tied with a handful of MLS NEXT Pro players for a second place standing in the league's lead for assists.
- Goalkeeper Adam Beaudry had a season-high of four saves in tonight's match versus LAFC2.
- Midfielder Oliver Larraz broke the 1,000-minute mark for Rapids 2 in tonight's game against LAFC2.
- The Rapids 2 defense earned its fourth clean sheet of the season during tonight's match. Goalkeeper Adam Beaudry has premiered in goal for three of the four clean sheet matches.
Postgame Media Availability:
- Head Coach Erik Bushey
- Rapids 2 Goalkeeper Adam Beaudry
Select postgame quotes transcribed below.
COLORADO RAPIDS 2 HEAD COACH ERIK BUSHEY
On the match:
“That was an excellent team we just played. I know people are going to look at the standings and probably concoct some story of what it should have been or their expectations and that would not be giving LAFC the credit that they deserve. They had a lot to do with our less-than-ideal start. We made some simple errors in possession and some of the issues we certainly caused ourselves, but LA made it very tough. It was a very, very physical game and they made it clear early on that that is what they were seeking."
On the defense in the second half:
“It was a combination of good fortune, if I am being honest, and good, scrappy defending. When we needed the save, we got it. Once again, I think that Adam (Beaudry) showed composure in some very difficult circumstances. We weren't always perfect in how we protected our goal, but we kept our heads. To me, that was an important part of our success."
On our offensive performance:
"I think it is about us conceding possession too easily. We did so in dangerous parts of the field, so we had to defend more in those dangerous parts of the field. Again, I would say credit to our guys because where it was far from perfect, we responded well with hard work, with emotional control, and somehow, we always found a way out of it and the opponent did very good collectively and individually. These are tough games, and it is always going to be difficult in that way."
On the team's second half performance:
"We wanted to make a few adjustments in terms of allowing them too much space to play. In some cases, perhaps we were a little bit high too early. In some cases, we were a little bit too narrow. We opened up too much space in the midfield for them to play and maybe that is out wide. We wanted to make a couple tweaks to make sure we could take away those gaps while still trying to get on the front foot to keep them out of their desired playing shape. There are a couple tweaks there defensively. We felt that if we could build on the good things, some of the times that we played out were very nice. It is easy for players and people to get caught up in the mistakes because you are doing it in such a precarious part of the field. What I wanted was for the guys to know there is good in what they are doing and trying to build on those good plays and keep playing. That is a big part of our learning process. I think we did that for the most part so I am pleased and proud of the guys."
COLORADO RAPIDS 2 GOALKEEPER ADAM BEAUDRY
On the first half of the match:
“I think LAFC's press is one of their strengths and I think figuring out how to deal with that was a big problem today. That was a big contributor to our first half performance."
On the team's clean sheet:
“I think everyone has to do their role. You had three guys come up big to make goal line clearances in the first 20 minutes. We just had to do our job up on the field by pressing and keeping possession of the ball. Everyone was just playing their role."
On maintaining composure during LAFC's attack:
"I think it is just helping your teammates organize. We still have a lot to improve and like I said, their press was a big problem for us, and we have a lot to work on there. It is good to get a clean sheet and three points on the road."
On the lessons learned from this match:
"I think everyone needs to keep focusing on playing their role. Organization could be better and set pieces were a big thing today. Overall, organization is the focus and the role that everyone plays in helping each other."