LAST TIME OUT AGAINST THE LOONS
The Colorado Rapids are facing Minnesota United FC for the second time this season. Their first match took place on March 18, 2023, and resulted in a 2-1 defeat at home, after Loons defender Miguel Tapias scored a late header to secure a come-from-behind win for his side after Rapids midfielder Cole Bassett had given Colorado a 1-0 lead. At the time, the loss marked the club’s first defeat at home since July 4, 2022, and the first defeat to Minnesota at home since the Loons joined MLS in 2017. All-time, the Rapids lead the series against Minnesota with a 7-5-2 regular-season record, though Colorado has struggled on the road, winning only twice out of six attempts as the visiting team.
Rapids forward Rafael Navarro and midfielder Sidnei Tavares made their club debuts last Wednesday against Los Angeles Football Club at BMO Stadium. Navarro joins the club from Brazilian champions Palmeiras as its newest Designated Player, while Tavares arrives from FC Porto after beginning his youth and senior career with England’s Leicester City. Navarro played the full 90 minutes while Tavares featured in the first half before substituting off at halftime. Though not his first match for Colorado, goalkeeper Marko Ilić’s made his first appearance for the Rapids since permanently joining the club this summer, recording four saves.
YOU ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR FIRST
Several Rapids players have achieved career landmarks and milestones against the Loons:
- Defender Lalas Abubakar made his first MLS start as a member of the Columbus Crew on July 4, 2017, in their 1-0 victory against Minnesota United FC.
- Defender Danny Wilson delivered his first assist as a member of the Rapids on June 23, 2018, during a 3-2 victory against the Loons.
- Homegrown midfielder Cole Bassett recorded his first MLS start as a member of the Rapids on October 13, 2018, in their 2-0 victory over Minnesota.
- Forward Calvin Harris delivered his first assist in MLS as a member of FC Cincinnati on May 7, 2022, during their 1-0 win over the Loons.
- Winger Braian Gálvan made his Rapids debut on July 22, 2020, in their 2-2 draw against Minnesota.