Braian Galván scored his first goal of the season to lead the Colorado Rapids (6-3-2, 20 points) to a 2-0 victory over Minnesota United FC (4-5-3, 15 points) on Wednesday night at DICK’S Sporting Goods Park (DSGP). Andre Shinyashiki scored his second goal of the season in the 81st minute to ensure Colorado extended its home unbeaten streak to five games. The Rapids have now scored in 30 consecutive MLS matches at DSGP, the longest active home scoring streak in MLS.
- The Rapids improve to 4-0-1 (W-L-D) all-time against Minnesota at DICK’S Sporting Goods Park, and have won each of the last four meetings in Colorado.
- F Braian Galván scored his first goal of the season to make it 1-0 in the 45th minute. The 20-year-old Argentine made his first start of the season tonight. Galván scored one goal and added one assist in nine appearances in 2020, his first year in Colorado.
- The Rapids extend their home scoring streak to 30 games. Colorado has scored in 30 consecutive MLS matches at DICK’S Sporting Goods Park, the longest active home scoring streak in the league. Their 2.17 goals per game at home this season currently lead the league.
- GK William Yarbrough made two saves to earn his fifth clean sheet of the season, which is tied for the most in MLS. Yarbrough also earned his sixth win of the season, equaling his total from 14 appearances in 2020.
- F Michael Barrios made his 190th career MLS appearance and recorded an assist on Galván’s goal. The 30-year-old Colombian has three goals and four assists in his last seven games.
- M Kellyn Acosta earned his first assist of the season on F Andre Shinyashiki’s second goal of the season, giving Acosta a goal and an assist in two matches against Minnesota this season. Acosta was one of three Rapids players, joining D Sam Vines and F Jonathan Lewis, that were named to the U.S. Men’s National Team for the Concacaf Gold Cup.
- This is the second four-game home unbeaten run for Colorado under HC Robin Fraser. The Rapids won their first four home games under Fraser from September 2019 to February 2020.
COLORADO RAPIDS HEAD COACH ROBIN FRASER
On the result:
“Really pleased with the result. You could tell that we spent a lot of energy a few nights ago. I thought in the start we looked a little bit tired, but still such a resolute effort to keep ourselves in the game. We weren’t as sharp on the ball tonight in the beginning as we needed to be, and as a result, we were under a bit of pressure. Combine that with the fatigue, I didn’t think we were incredibly sharp early on, but still just such a great effort to keep ourselves in it and then a fantastic goal at a really critical time by Braian Galván. And then the second half, I thought we came out and we were a little clearer on what we were doing defensively and made things a little more difficult for them and then obviously scored another timely goal and saw the game out. So, overall really proud of them. I know they spent a ton of energy a few nights ago and to come back tonight and not be their best but still continue to play well, play hard, and play for each other. To get a shutout and a win was obviously a big result for us.”
On Braian Galván and Andre Shinyashiki’s performances:“It’s definitely joy. With regard to Braian [Galván], young players have to prove themselves and we’ve seen him in training for a while and know he’s a good player, but not until you get in the heat of battle can you really prove yourself and I thought he went in tonight in what was some tough conditions and a very, very good team. I think Minnesota is a very good team and he did extremely well and scored a fantastic goal, so for him that was great.
Andre [Shinyashiki] is a player we have tremendous trust in and he's done such a good job in so many different positions. He just does whatever is asked, whatever is asked of him he goes in, he gives it his all and I thought his coming in tonight and playing midfield and scoring a goal out of position was such a —you had used the word ‘validation’ before. It was one of these things where we know Andre is good in any position he goes into and we know what we’re going to get in terms of reliability, so it was great to stick him in a position that maybe isn’t his most comfortable and he still gets finds a way to get a goal. So I thought both guys did extremely well.”*
COLORADO RAPIDS FORWARD ANDRE SHINYASHIKI*
On the match:“A good game, team performance. We’re missing a lot of guys and people had to step up and they did. A very important three points. We go on a little bit of a break now so just need to keep going. I thought it was a very good win for us.”