William Yarbrough, Keegan Rosenberry, Danny Wilson, Auston Trusty, Lucas Esteves, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Jack Price (C), Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Michael Barrios, Braian Galván
Bench: Clint Irwin, Drew Moor, Lalas Abubakar, Andre Shinyashiki, Diego Rubio, Nico Mezquida, Younes Namli, Cole Bassett, Collen Warner
Player Availability Report:
THE BIG PICTURE
The Rapids enter Sunday's match third in the West, three points behind first-place Sporting KC with two games in hand and two points behind second-place Seattle with a game in hand, while their draw on Wednesday kept the gap between Colorado and fourth-place LA Galaxy at five points with a game in hand. The Rapids’ nine-game unbeaten run is the longest in MLS. Their 10-game home unbeaten run is the best in the Western Conference. Colorado is also unbeaten in its last six on the road, tying a club record set in 2016.
ANDRE THE GIANT
Andre Shinyashiki earned his second assist of the season on Wednesday in Portland when he found Jonathan Lewis for the opening goal. It was his second assist in two games after he combined with Collen Warner to find Michael Barrios to open the scoring against LA Galaxy on Sept. 11. They are his first helpers since September 2020 at the Galaxy. The 24-year-old Brazilian has four goals and two assists this season, including two and two in his last nine games.
MAKING HIS OWN LUCK
Michael Barrios scored his second goal in as many games on Wednesday in Portland when his shot from the byline found the far post and the back of the net. The Colombian winger has two goals in his last 95 minutes of action. Barrios extended his team lead to seven goals, just two away from tying a career high set in 2016 with FC Dallas. His three game-winning assists match his totals from each of the last four seasons and are a career high.
TIME TO CAPITALIZE
Sunday’s match is the first of three in a row at DICK’S Sporting Goods Park for the Rapids. Toronto FC will visit on Sept. 25 before a third and final meeting against 2021 expansion side Austin FC on Sept. 29. The Rapids close the season with five of their last eight matches on the road. Going into Week 26, Vancouver, Toronto and Austin are all outside the playoff picture. Six of Colorado’s final eight matches are against teams currently in a playoff spot, including two matches against Seattle and a visit to league-leading New England.
SHARP(E) ON SET PIECES
In the first meeting between these teams on May 2, Diego Rubio scored the game-winning goal on a direct free kick that went off the bar and in. The goal was Rubio’s eighth from a set piece since joining the Rapids in 2019; he scored his ninth when he headed in Jack Price’s corner delivery against RSL on Aug. 21. The Chilean’s nine goals from corners, direct and indirect set pieces since 2019 are tied for the most in MLS since then (Johnny Russell), while his seven from corners and indirect set pieces lead the league. Tied for second with six goals from set pieces since 2019 is former Rapids Kei Kamara. The Rapids have nine goals from set pieces this season, tied for fourth-most in MLS. The Rapids lead MLS with 37 goals off set pieces since 2019. Colorado’s set piece guru is long-time assistant and goalkeeper coach Chris Sharpe of Australia.
NOTES & MILESTONES
- Keegan Rosenberry’s makes the 150th start of his MLS career. Rosenberry has played a full 90 minutes in 143 of those matches. He is one of two players to play every minute for Colorado this season, alongside GK William Yarbrough.
- Jonathan Lewis’ makes the 30th of his MLS career. The 24-year-old has three goals and one assist in his last six games and has scored in three of his last four starts.
- Kellyn Acosta’s makes the 190th of his MLS career. His next assist will be his 20th.
- Danny Wilson’s makes his 22nd start of the season, tying a Rapids career high set in 2018, his first season with the club.
- Michael Barrios is two goals away from the 40th of his MLS career and is two assists away from the 50th of his career.
- Andre Shinyashiki’s next assist will be his third of the season, tying his career high from 2019.
- Dominique Badji has four goals in eight career matches against Vancouver.
- Diego Rubio has three goals in seven career matches against Vancouver.
- Michael Barrios has a goal and three assists in 12 career matches against Vancouver.
- Nico Mezquida assisted on goals by F Diego Rubio and F Andre Shinyashiki in 2-2 draw at BC Place in June 2019. The Uruguayan played 101 MLS matches for Vancouver from 2014 to 2018, adding 12 goals and four assists.