William Yarbrough, Keegan Rosenberry, Auston Trusty, Lalas Abubakar, Lucas Esteves, Jack Price (C), Cole Bassett, Collen Warner, Jonathan Lewis, Diego Rubio, Braian Galván
Bench: Clint Irwin, Drew Moor, Dominique Badji, Andre Shinyashiki, Michael Barrios, Jeremy Kelly, Nicolás Mezquida, Younes Namli, Steven Beitashour
Player Availability Report:
DEFEND THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN CUP
The Rapids must win on Saturday to defend their Rocky Mountain Cup title. It would be their sixth Rocky Mountain Cup title and the first time the Rapids successfully defend the RMC since 2006. It would also mark the first time the Rapids win two straight games over RSL since April 2007.
- Michael Barrios has seven assists in 14 career matches against RSL.
- Cole Bassett has a goal and an assist in three career matches against RSL.
- Braian Galván has a goal and an assist, his most against any MLS opponent, in just 96 minutes across three career appearances against RSL. He fed Mark-Anthony Kaye for the game-winner on Aug. 21.
- Younes Namli has two assists in three appearances against RSL.
- Diego Rubio has three goals and an assist in 10 career appearances against RSL.
- Collen Warner started his career with RSL in 2010, playing 37 games in Claret & Cobalt.
A Rapids win would not only defend the Rocky Mountain Cup – it would secure a second playoff berth in two full seasons under Robin Fraser. The Rapids can also clinch a berth with a draw in Utah, IF:
- Vancouver loses or ties to Sporting KC AND LA Galaxy lose to Portlan
- Minnesota loses to Austin AND Galaxy lose to Portland AND LAFC loses or ties to San Jos
- Vancouver loses or ties to Sporting KC AND Minnesota loses or ties to Austin
Colorado can also clinch with a loss if Vancouver loses or ties to Sporting KC AND Minnesota loses to Austin AND San Jose loses or ties LAFC.
A NOD TO THE 2010 MLS CUP CHAMPIONS
Drew Moor became the third active player to reach 400 career MLS appearances on Sunday. If he plays on Saturday, he will become the second player in club history to reach 200 appearances in Burgundy. The other, Pablo Mastroeni, has led Real Salt Lake to a 4-4-0 record as interim head coach. The Rapids retired Mastroeni’s No. 25 on July 4.
Moor and Mastroeni were teammates on the Rapids 2010 MLS Cup championship team, as was Rapids assistant and goalkeeper coach Chris Sharpe.
William Yarbrough is putting up one of the best seasons in MLS but has taken it to another level since the loss in Utah on July 24. Since then, he has conceded just 12 goals in 14 games and posted a 79.31 save percentage, both the best in MLS among goalkeepers with at least 12 appearances. The Aguascalientes, Mexico, native has earned five of his 11 clean sheets, second-most in MLS, and has allowed more than one goal just once since then.
Jack Price’s next appearance will be his 100th with the club in the regular season. Price’s next assist will be his 12th of the season, a new career high and the most by a Rapids player since Omar Cummings picked up 12 helpers in 2009. Price’s 11 assists this season tie his Rapids career high from 2019. The Shrewsbury, England, native is three assists away from tying Terry Cooke for second-most in club history (34). His next assist will be his 12th of 2021, the most by a Rapids player since Omar Cummings in 2009.
His 21 assists off set pieces since 2019 are the most in MLS; he leads the league with seven this season. Price found Diego Rubio for the equalizing header against RSL on Aug. 21. Rubio is second in MLS with nine goals off set pieces since joining the club in 2019. He scored a game-winning direct free kick at Rio Tinto Stadium on May 2 against Vancouver.
NOTES & MILESTONES
- The Rapids’ next win will be their 300th in the regular season all-time. It would be their 15th of the season, tying a post-shootout era club record set in 2016.
- Colorado earned its third win after conceding the first goal on Sunday in Minnesota. The Rapids are 3-4-2 when conceding first, which is fourth-best in MLS. Colorado came from behind to defeat RSL, 2-1, on Aug. 21.
- The Rapids are tied for the league lead with 11 goals off set pieces. Colorado and RSL (and Minnesota and RBNY) are tied for the fewest set piece goals allowed with four.
- Auston Trusty is tied for sixth in MLS with 50 interceptions this season.
- Colorado is tied for second in MLS with 21 players with at least one goal or assist.
- Michael Barrios’ next goal will be his ninth of the season, tying a career high set in 2016.
- Lalas Abubakar’s next appearance will be the 80th of his MLS career and his 59th with the club.
- Cole Bassett’s next start will be the 50th of his MLS career.
- Keegan Rosenberry’s next appearance will be the 160th of his MLS career and his 80th with the club. His two goals and three assists this season are both tied for career highs.