Hometown: Gonzales, Trinidad & Tobago
Citizenship: Trinidad & Tobago
Birth date: July 24, 1990
Acquired: Rapids signed defender Mekeil Williams as a Discovery Signing from Antigua GFC on February 4, 2016
- Made his season debut in the 2-2 home draw with Minnesota United FC (3/18). He had previously featured in a regular season game on October 16, 2016 and the 1-0 loss at Portland Timbers. He gave away the penalty which led to T&T teammate Kevin Molino scoring from the spot for Minnesota's equalizing first goal.
- Sent off for the first time in MLS toward the end of the 1-0 home loss to Vancouver Whitecaps FC (5/5). Suspended for the 3-0 home win over San Jose Earthquakes (5/13).
- Williams played in every position along the back line, and seemed to be a lucky charm for the Rapids in the first half of the season. The team were 8-0-7 from his first 15 starts, and 9-0-7 from his first 16 appearances.
- His first assist in MLS, in the 2-1 home win over New York Red Bulls on April 16, was the first of three in consecutive games. He finished the season with four assists.
- The game at Providence Park (10/16) was his first start since the 5-1 loss at New York City on July 30. It would be his last start of the regular season. He had made three substitute appearances since the game at Yankee Stadium, for just seven minutes of playing time.
- Missed games due to international duty with Trinidad & Tobago.
- Williams began his professional career with Ma Pau SC of the TT Pro League in 2009 prior to signing with W Connection FC in 2011.
- He then joined Polish club Pogoń Szczecin on a five-month loan, appearing in nine matches and registering one goal.
- His only professional goal came on April 21, 2012 for Polish club Pogoń Szczecin (POH-gon Stet-een), a header from a corner in a 1-0 win over Flota Swinoujscie (Floater Swinner-whisk-yer).
- The game at Providence Park (10/16/16) was his first start since the 5-1 loss at New York City on July 30. He had made three substitute appearances since, for just seven minutes of playing time.
- In 2012, he signed with FC Fyn of Denmark, seeing action in eight matches for the club.
- Williams returned to W Connection in 2013 and played in the Trinidad first division until his move to Antigua GFC in the summer of 2015.
- Williams has represented Trinidad and Tobago 17 times and scored his only goal on his senior debut in a 3-2 loss against Finland on January 22, 2012.
- Went 90 minutes in the 1-0 win over Panama (3/24/17), as well as the 1-0 loss to Mexico four days later. Both were World Cup qualifiers.
- He appeared in three matches for the Soca Warriors in the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup, including the quarterfinal loss against Panama.
- In 2009 he was a member of Trinidad & Tobago's squad at the FIFA U20 World Cup in Egypt. He came on as a 78th minute substitute in the final group game for his tournament debut in a 0-0 draw with Paraguay.
- The son of Gloria and Bertram Williams, Mekeil has two siblings in older sister Chenelle and younger brother Trevon.
- He is a close friend of Trinidad & Tobago international teammate Joevin Jones, who plays for Seattle Sounders FC.
- Also referred to as Mekeil 'Splash' Williams. 'Splash' is a nickname taken from his father, but Mekeil does not know how the moniker came to be.
- His favorite dish is dumpling and saltfish.
- He likes dancehall and hip-hop music.
- When asked by Trinidad & Tobago website wired868.com what pushes him to succeed, he replied: "I think (playing professional football) is something my father always wanted to do but never had the chance. When he had my sister, he stopped playing to take care of her. So this is my way of living his dream. Happily this is my dream too."