The Colorado Rapids claimed their second away win of 2018 in a tightly-fought encounter away to Minnesota United, with Yannick Boli's second goal of the season handing Anthony Hudson's side a 2-0 victory.
Both teams had chances in a back-and-forth first half, as Angelo Rodriguez fired wide on the breakaway and Darwin Quintero whiffed on a cross in front of goal in the early stages of the game, but no looks were better than the four Colorado generated in rapid succession in the 8th minute.
Following a corner kick, the Rapids had four chances denied from close range in roughly 10 seconds as they hammered the Minnesota goal, only to be stymied twice by Minnesota goalkeeper Matt Lampson and and twice by defenders on the goal line.
Quintero had the ball in the back of the net less than six minutes into the second half, and though the Colombian was onside when he was played through by Miguel Ibarra, the goal was eventually overturned after Video Review determined that Rodriguez was offside in the buildup play.
Boli's decisive goal game just after the hour mark as Marlon Hairston put in a teasing cross from the right side, allowing Boli to get in front of Michael Boxall and flick home a near-post header.
Minnesota poured forward looking for an equalizer in the final half-hour of the contest, but could not find their way through a resolute Rapids backline. Ibson did put the ball in the back of the net in stoppage time after a chaotic sequence, but the goal was called back after Video Review due to another offside decision against Rodriguez.
Niki Jackson would add an insurance goal deep into second-half stoppage time, and Colorado's celebrations near the Minnesota bench set off a confrontation between the two sides that resulted in ejections for Colorado's Tommy Smith, Minnesota's Harrison Heath (who was on the bench) and Minnesota's goalkeeper coach.
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams have been eliminated from playoff contention, but Minnesota will be disappointed at the blemish on their their home record, which has been a point of pride for the Loons all season. Colorado will be feeling bullish after their second road win all season, but there's plenty of work ahead for both teams this offseason.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Boli's goal decided it, but you probably won't see a wilder sequence this season as the Rapids tried to punch the ball across the line early in the first half:
- MAN OF THE MATCH: No one out there had the cleanest of matches, but 17-year-old Cole Bassett stood out in his first start for Colorado, featuring for the full 90 minutes on the left side of midfield in Anthony Hudson's 4-3-1-2 formation. The academy product showed some real moments of quality on the ball and was involved in some of the Rapids' most dangerous moves.
- Minnesota: Saturday, October 21 vs LA Galaxy
- Colorado: Saturday, Octoner 21 at San Jose