The Big Picture
Andreas Maxsø’s first-half goal off a Connor Ronan corner kick was enough to give the Colorado Rapids (5-15-11, 26 pts) a 1-0 victory over Austin FC (9-14-8, 35 pts) at DICK’S Sporting Goods Park. The Rapids are unbeaten in their last two matches at home and have scored eight goals in their last five matches after scoring only 16 times in their first 26 fixtures.
- M Connor Ronan delivered his team-leading tenth assist on Colorado’s opening goal tonight, joining Jack Price (2019 and 2021) as the only Rapids players since 2010 to produce at least 10 assists in a single season. This assist marks his second consecutive assist in as many matches, a first in his MLS career. Additionally, it's his third assist in his last five appearances.
- D Andreas Maxsø scored the game-winning goal tonight, marking his second goal of the season. Both of his goals this season were assisted by Connor Ronan and were scored in the first half.
- D Sebastian Anderson recorded his sixth career MLS start tonight, marking his first MLS start since August 31, 2019, in a 2-0 win over the New York Red Bulls.
- GK Marko Ilić recorded his second clean sheet this season.
- Colorado has scored in their last five matches (eight goals), their longest run of games with a goal in MLS since a run of five games from September 11, 2022, to October 9, 2022.
- The Rapids are unbeaten in their last 18 regular season matches when leading at halftime (17-0-1) dating back to April 25, 2021, against Austin FC (L, 1-3).
COLORADO RAPIDS INTERIM HEAD COACH CHRIS LITTLE
On the match:
“Yeah, just delighted to get the win. It was a really hard-fought game. We had to do all the things to win a football game from being committed for each other, the togetherness, defending the box, throwing your bodies on the line, getting a bit of luck, as well. But that's all part of it. I think when you get a clean sheet and you win a game at home, you're delighted, so I'm really, really pleased for the players.”
On Rapids goalkeeper Marko Ilić’s performance:
“Yeah, very, very good. I think in this home stretch, if you look at his performances against New England, I thought he came up with some really big saves, and he helped us win the game, and he's done the same tonight. So, his ability to make a big save, a big time, is such a key thing for a goalkeeper. And I think we're starting to see for him as well. He's growing in confidence, and I think not only his shot stopping and protecting our goal, but when we're in possession, his calmness, his ability to break a line, to find a fullback, to find solutions where, as you mentioned the other team's pressing, where you can kind of eliminate the pressure by making a good choice. So, we've shown a lot of good things and has been vital for us in this win tonight for sure.”
COLORADO RAPIDS DEFENDER ANDREAS MAXSØ
On the match:
“Yes, obviously it was a nice win. We played a really solid game and everybody was working really hard. What we talked about before the game was really to put an effort, and yeah, also send a signal in the last couple of games. I thought that was important for us.”
On the shutout:
“Of course. It's always important to have a clean sheet because it means that you'll get a point, but it's also like, it's confidence for the whole group. And again, we played a really solid game. Everybody was working really, really hard, and that's why we get the clean sheet today. Of course, the win at the end, so I'm really happy.”
COLORADO RAPIDS GOALKEEPER MARKO ILIĆ
On the match:
“Yeah, it was a very tough match for us. I think it was very important to keep a clean sheet at the end, and like I said, everybody was working for it. The energy was superb. And we all fought for the win and for that clean sheet. It's really good for the team, for the atmosphere and we're very happy about it.”
On if he thinks the Denver Nuggets will be repeat champions:
“Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm going to try to go with my family to the first game, cheer on [Denver Nuggets center Nikola] Jokić. That's going to be a good experience for them, because, you know, they're Serbian, so they like basketball. Yeah, hopefully they can. After a ‘chip, you always see what kind of mentality a team has. Do they want to do it again? Do they not want to do it again? So, I think I think they're going to win it, hopefully. I know I'll be cheering them on, especially my guy Nikola.”
COLORADO RAPIDS HOMEGROWN DEFENDER SEBASTIAN ANDERSON
On the match:
“It's always great to win at home, and I feel like our fans definitely deserved that, so I'm happy that we could give it to them.”
On what it means to be a Homegrown Player for the club:
“For us being in Colorado, it means a bit more, everyone wants to win. Everyone wants to make our fans happy. But for us, it’s where we grew up. It’s our livelihood. It’s super important to play well and to win games and to make our fans happy and proud.”