Hometown: Picton, New Zealand
College: California Polytechnic State University
Citizenship: USA/New Zealand
Birth date: March 15, 1994
Acquired: Rapids selected defender Kip Colvey with the third overall pick in the 2017 Major League Soccer Waiver Draft on December 13, 2017.
- Spent majority of 2017 on loan with Quakes USL affiliate Reno 1868 FC.
- Played and started 10 games with Reno 1868, accumulating 856 minutes of playing time.
- Called up by San Jose Earthquakes to play full 90 minutes against Seattle Sounders FC in a 2-1 victory at Avaya Stadium on June 28 in the Round of 16 of the U.S. Open Cup.
- Selected by Earthquakes in the third round (49th overall) of the 2016 MLS SuperDraft and signed on March 4, 2016.
- Made his MLS debut as a halftime substitute on March 6 in the 1-0 home win over the Colorado Rapids.
- Appeared in four matches, making three starts during his rookie season.
- Assisted Chris Wondolowski’s goal against the Portland Timbers March 13, helping the Quakes secure the 2-1 victory.
- Earned his first New Zealand senior team call-up on May 11, 2016 for three Oceania Football Confederation Nations Cup games.
- Played 83 minutes in the group stage match of the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup against Russia (2-0 L) on June 17, 2017.
- Featured in four of six 2018 World Cup qualification matches against Fiji, Solomon Islands and Peru in 2017, eventually reaching the playoffs and being eliminated by Peru (2-0 aggregate) on November 16.
- Played full 90 minutes in 1-1 friendly draw against the United States on Oct. 11, 2016.
- Appeared for the U-23s at the 2015 Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Papua New Guinea.
- Helped the Kiwis reach the Round of 16 at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
- Represented New Zealand at the U-17s, U-23s and senior team levels.
- Played at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, California where he was a four-year starter who appeared in 74 matches (72 starts), tallying four goals and nine assists
- Was named to All-Big West First Team in 2015 after leading a defense that allowed 0.98 goals per game, second lowest in the conference
- Named to All-Big West second team in 2014 with his four assists ranked the third highest total by a conference player
- Scored first collegiate goal as a sophomore in 2013 in the Big West Conference Tournament quarterfinal
- Named to Big West All-Academic Team as a sophomore.
- Two-year scholarship member at the prestigious Asia Pacific Football Academy
- Captain of APFA side that toured the United Kingdom in 2010
- Spent time in February 2010 training with Los Angeles Galaxy Academy squad
- Competed for representative county side Canterbury since U-13 level
- In athletics, captured regional sprinting and cross country championships
- Son of Kip and Sue Colvey
- Has one sister, Kendall
- Majored in kinesiology