Hometown: Macclesfield, England
Citizenship: New Zealand/ England
Birth date: March 31, 1990
Acquired: Rapids signed center back Tommy Smith to a two-year contract with a club option in year three on January 22, 2018 from Ipswich Town.
- Opened 2019 account in the 69th minute of his 2019 debut at Toyota Stadium against FC Dallas (3/23).
- Assisted Benny Feilhaber's 11th minute goal on 4/13 against D.C. United.
- Operating on the left side of a back three, the New Zealand international made his Rapids debut in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League game at home to Toronto FC (2/20).
- He played every minute of both legs of the Champions League tie, before making his MLS debut in the 2-1 loss at New England Revolution (3/10).
- Smith appeared in 33 games, all from the start, scoring four goals and three assists.
- Smith contributed with assists on Joe Mason's goal against Sporting Kansas City (3/24), and Dominique Badji's first in the 3-0 success over Philadelphia Union (3/31).
- Smith scored his first MLS goal and added his third assist on 6/13 against the Chicago Fire. His performance in that game earned him a spot on the MLS Team of the Week - Week 16 and the Man of the Match honors.
- A week later, Smith scored the game-winner on 6/23 in the dying moments against Minnesota United FC at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park. He was named Man of the Match for the second consecutive week for his performance against MNUFC.
- Earned a spot on the MLS Team of the Week- Week 18 for his performance in the 1-0 win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC (7/1).
- Smith notched his third MLS goal at home against the San Jose Earthquakes on 8/11.
- Smith scored a second game-winning goal in the Rapids' final match of the season against FC Dallas.
- Picked up the the Defensive Player of the Year award at the end of season gala, A Burgundy Affair.
- Signed a three-year deal professional deal with Ipswich Town FC on July 1, 2007
- In February 2008 was loaned to Stevenage FC playing a total of 15 games before returning to Ipswich
- Made Ipswich first team debut on August 9, 2008 against Preston North End, starting as center back
- Was loaned to Brentford F.C. in January 2010, making eight appearances before being recalled by Ipswich in March 2010
- Scored first professional goal for Ipswich away against Middlesbrough in the first game of the 2010-11 Championship, which Ipswich won 3-1
- Was loaned to Colchester United in March 2011 for the remainder of the 2010-11 season.
- After playing 11 games and scoring 1 goal during the 2011-12 season for Ipswich, Smith signed a two-year contract extension in May 2012
- Recovered from back surgery in 2016 to appear for New Zealand at the 2017 Confederations Cup
- Appeared in 267 games with Ipswich, scoring 23 goals and 11 assists
- Represented England at the U-17 and U-18 level
- Played in the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Korea
- Made full international debut for New Zealand on March 3, 2010 starting in a 2-0 friendly defeat against Mexico
- Named to New Zealand's 23-man squad to compete at the 2010 FIFA World Cup
- Made first World Cup appearance in New Zealand's opening game, a 1-1 draw against Slovakia
- Became the youngest captain in All Whites history during New Zealand's 2012 FIFA World Cup qualifiers
- Scored first career goal for New Zealand on June 2, 2012 in 1-0 win vs Fiji in a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier
- Has 36 caps with the New Zealand national team
- Progressed through the Academy ranks at Ipswich Town FC