The New York Red Bulls moved on up the Eastern Conference standings, after defeating the Colorado Rapids 2-1 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Saturday night.
The Red Bulls found a goal just five minutes in, as Michael Murillo's throw-in was crossed into the box by Bradley Wright-Phillips, with Daniel Royer poking the shot into the net.
Derrick Etienne, Jr. doubled the lead in the final 15 minutes of the match. The goal was initially chalked off on offside, but Video Review overturned that call, and the goal was awarded.
There was enough time for a Rapids rally, as Jack McBean latched onto a rebound from a Shkëlzen Gashi save and scored his first goal for the club in the 85th minute. But the home side could not find a dramatic equalizer to split the points.
- 5' – RBNY – Daniel Royer
- 76' – RBNY – Derrick Etienne, Jr.
- 85' – COL – Jack McBean
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Red Bulls extend their winning streak to three games, and a road win at altitude is always a good accomplishment. The Rapids, meanwhile, are now on a four-game losing streak, tied for worst in MLS at the moment.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: In the end, Etienne's goal was the difference, and the replays show the potential offside call was about as close as it gets.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It was a typical Red Bulls victory, which is to say it was a thorough team effort, but Luis Robles made five saves to maintain the lead for his team, and his teammates came through on the other end to seal three points.
- Colorado: Saturday, May 19 at NYCFC (11 AM MT)
- New York: Sunday, May 20 at Atlanta United FC (5 PM MT)