The Vancouver Whitecaps scored late in each half to rally from an early two-goal deficit to draw with the Colorado Rapids Saturday night at BC Place.
Yordy Reyna provided the equalizer in the 80th minute, placing his 20-yard free kick in off the post past a rooted Tim Howard.
Colorado had two golden chances to extend their lead inside the opening 35 minutes, but Kamara hammered a shot off the post and Mezquida’s rebound was cleared off the line by Jake Nerwinski in the 23rd minute.
Zac MacMath then flubbed a lobbed Kamara attempt before quickly recovering in the 34th minute.
The Whitecaps cut their deficit in half in first-half stoppage time as Fredy Montero converted from the penalty spot after Ali Adnan was tripped up by Rubio in the box.
After Reyna's equalizer, Montero headed over the bar and Reyna had a similar free kick that sailed harmlessly wide at the final whistle.
- 8’ — COL — Diego Rubio | WATCH
- 20’ — COL — Andre Shinyashiki | WATCH
- 45’+1’ — VAN — Fredy Montero (PK)
- 80’ — VAN — Yordy Reyna
- THE BIG PICTURE: On another day, the Rapids take three road points, but they leave BC Place disappointed for two points lost, which would have put them two points below the playoff line. They’ll also rue gilt-edged chances to make it 3-0. The Whitecaps survived a disastrous opening 35 minutes to secure a draw and could have stolen all three points if they were more clinical in the attacking third late.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Mezquida was an absolute pest against his former team with a pair of assists and having a shot cleared off the line.
- COL: Friday, June 28 vs LAFC (8:00 PM MT | UniMás, Twitter, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)