Andre Shinyashiki struck deep into second-half stoppage time to lift the 10-man Colorado Rapids to a 3-3 draw against the Portland Timbers on the snow-blanketed pitch at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park.
The hosts raced out in front in the 16th minute as Kei Kamara opened his account by tapping in a Kellyn Acosta cross. Dillon Serna played Acosta behind and the US international split a pair of defenders before sending his low ball across the edge of the six-yard box.
Diego Valeri leveled just before the half-hour mark when he followed his own saved penalty kick and slot one past Tim Howard. The equalizer came after the Timbers had David Guzman's goal called back due to offsides following Video Review. Defender Axel Sjöberg was sent off on a straight red for denial of a goalscoring opportunity for handling the ball.
As conditions continued to deteriorate, Sebastian Blanco put Portland in front just before the half, latching onto a Valeri corner and slipping a glancing header inside the far post.
Benny Feilhaber scored his first goal for the Rapids one minute after halftime, following up his first blocked attempt with a sliding effort that evaded Jeff Attinella.
The Timbers regained their lead 20 minutes later when a sliding Deklan Wynne deflected Andy Polo’s cross into his own net. But Shinyashiki provided the late heroics on his Rapids debut, tapping in a rebound inside the six-yard box
- 16’ — COL — Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 29’ — POR — Diego Valeri
- 45’+1’ — POR — Sebastian Blanco
- 46’ — COL — Benny Feilhaber | WATCH
- 66’ — POR — Deklan Wynne (OG)
- 90’+4' — COL — Andre Shinyashiki | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Can you see the Big Picture through all that snow? It’s a winning draw for the Rapids, who were reduced to 10 men and trailed late in the second half. Tough two points dropped for the Timbers, but maybe worse if Guzman is seriously injured from slipping on the snow and appearing to hurt his groin.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It’s got to be the late equalizer by Shinyashiki, the rookie who came off the bench to score his first MLS goal in dramatic fashion.
- COL: Saturday, March 9 at Seattle Sounders FC (8:00 PM MT | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, DAZN in Canada)