The Colorado Rapids fell to Austin FC 3-2 on Monday night at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park after taking an early lead in the first half from two back-to-back goals from Lalas Abubakar and Jonathan Lewis. The Black and Verde finished the night with three unanswered goals to defeat the Rapids at altitude.

“It all comes down to concentration and determination,” said Abubakar postgame. “Going up 2-0 and giving up three goals, it’s tough. It’s gotta be better.” 

The Burgundy Boys got on the board early and with emphasis, scoring two in just three minutes.

Bryan Acosta led the set piece charge for the Rapids throughout the match, with his delivery in the 19th minute putting Colorado up first. After Mark-Anthony Kaye was fouled on a breakaway chance toward goal, Acosta sent the ball floating into the box where defender Abubakar was there for a last-second volley that went right past the arms of Brad Stuver and into the net.

The game-opener was Abubakar’s second goal from a set piece this season and Acosta’s first assist in burgundy.

Striker Lewis doubled the Rapids’ lead just minutes later when Diego Rubio lofted a pass over his teammate and Austin’s backline. Lewis broke free of the defense and took the edge on the footrace to be faced with a one-on-one with the ‘keeper. His easy chip over Stuver in the 22nd minute marked his third goal of the season.

Austin replied shortly after with a goal of their own in the 28th minute when Ethan Finlay beat goalkeeper William Yarbrough over the top on a breakaway. 

The Rapids’ offensive attempts in the first 45 didn’t end with their two goals––defender Keegan Rosenberry took his space up the right side, beating his defender to get a long cross off to a waiting Lewis in the 38th minute. Lewis’ shot from the top left corner of the box was just wide of the far post, leaving the Rapids to two. 

Colorado recorded 15 shots over the 90 minutes played on Monday. 

‘I know that we created quite a few [chances] and we have to be able to execute in those moments,” said Fraser. ‘But the final pass and final touch needs to be more consistent and that's a word I've used a lot recently is consistency. It's important that we continue to believe in ourselves. We create many chances in most games, we just need to continue pushing on and improve our concentration there and what we're doing in our own box as well.”

Austin FC striker Sebastián Driussi capped off the first half in stoppage time when he snuck past the backline to touch one into the net for the equalizer. 

After the half, striker Maxi Urruti gave Austin the lead in the 59th minute after being fed a cross into the box by Finlay.  

“I think that's one thing we have to work on as a team is bouncing back when mistakes happen or a goal is scored against us,” said Auston Trusty postgame. Saturday’s match marked  the defender’s last home game in burgundy before completing his transfer to Premier League giant Arsenal. “We just got to stay focused and stay sharp in certain moments.” 

Up next, the Rapids head to Rio Tinto Stadium to battle Real Salt Lake in the second and final leg of the 2022 Rocky Mountain Cup. Kickoff is set for 8:00 PM.