Tommy Smith headed in Jack Price's corner kick five minutes from full time to complete the Colorado Rapids' comeback from two goals down and keep them mathematically alive for the postseason in a 3-2 away victory over 10-man Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park on Saturday night.
Smith's winner followed a night that began with him conceding an own goal, and continued with two Rapids goals from players who used to play in Kansas City.
Kei Kamara started the comeback with a sensational bicycle kick goal just before halftime for his 12th of the season, and then Diego Rubio leveled for his 10th -- with an assist from Smith -- with a quarter of an hour to go.
Gerso put SKC in front after only three minutes, and the hosts had doubled their lead 11 minutes later when Smith turned the ball into his own net while pressured by Krisztian Nemeth.
But Kansas City's fortunes reversed drastically in the 20th minute when Matt Besler was sent off for his second bookable offense after he misfired on a clearance and his boot caught Sam Nicholson's face. Now it's them who could be officially out of the push for the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs, depending on results Sunday.
- 3' - SKC - Gerso
- 14' - SKC - Tommy Smith (OG)
- 42' - COL - Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 76' - COL - Diego Rubio | WATCH
- 85' - COL - Tommy Smith | WATCH
- SKC: Wednesday, September 25 at Minnesota United (6:00 PM MT | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US and on DAZN in Canada)
- COL: Sunday, September 29 vs FC Dallas (5:30 PM MT | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US and on DAZN in Canada)