The Montreal Impact continued their summer resurgence on Saturday, as they defeated the Colorado Rapids 2-1 at Stade Saputo to extend their winning streak to four games.
After a scoreless first half in which the Impact were dominant in possession, the home side took the lead in the 55th minute courtesy of Saphir Taider, who took a short feed from Alejandro Silva in the box and shot it through Rapids goalkeeper Tim Howard's legs. A minute later, he slotted home his second goal, with a run into the box, receiving the pass from Ignacio Piatti and beating Howard once again.
The Rapids didn't notch a shot in the game until a free kick in 78th minute, when substitute Dominique Badji pushed in an attempt on goal right on the doorstep to give the visitors hope late.
- 55' – MTL – Saphir Taider
- 56' – MTL – Saphir Taider
- 78' – COL – Dominique Badji | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The win is huge for Montreal, who move above the playoff line in the Eastern Conference as a result. They've now won five of their last six games. The Rapids, meanwhile, had a tough assignment with the road game on short rest, but the reality is they lost two games this week and their own mini-revival is on hold.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The game was calling out for a game-breaking play in the second half, and the Impact obliged on the first goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Coming into the match, Taider had scored one goal for the Impact, and while he wasn't expected to fully replace Blerim Dzemaili's production in midfield, he probably was counting on scoring a few more. A brace in this game may help him find his scoring touch moving forward.
- MTL: Wednesday, July 11 at NYCFC (5:00 PM MT)
- COL: Saturday, July 14 vs. Houston Dynamo (7:00 PM MT | TICKETS)