Nana Boateng sure picked some moment to nab his first MLS goal.
With time ticking away in added time at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on Saturday night, Boateng popped up at the top of the box and slid a right footed shot through traffic into the side netting to give the surging Colorado Rapids a 2-1 win over 10-man San Jose Earthquakes.
Rapids defender Tommy Smith opened the scoring off a Kellyn Acosta cross in the first half, and Quakes midfielder Magnus Eriksson equalized early in the second half from the spot before Boateng's heroics.
The result could have gone either way – as both of the Western Conference cellar dwellers entered with confidence after rare wins – with each having plenty of chances throughout to get the result. The Rapids dominated possession for much of the evening, but the Quakes seemed to have the better chances to get a winner throughout the second half - forcing a handful of saves from veteran goalkeeper Tim Howard.
However, a late Shea Salinas red card gave the Rapids the late edge and Boateng made the visitors pay just before the final whistle.
- THE BIG PICTURE: Boateng sure picked a moment to finally get on the scoresheet. Is the result too little too late for the Rapids, who have now won two in a row for just the second time this season? With a season win total of six, the Rapids are now 11 points below the playoff line in the West with 11 games left. As the great Lou Brown once said, "If we win tomorrow, that's called a winning streak...it has happened before"
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Sure Boateng's goal will get the headlines. But in reality, the moment of the match falls to Shea Salinas' hot-head red card after he was fouled by Colorado midfielder Dillon Serna in the 88th minute. The veteran swung a seemigly deliberate elbow Serna's way after he was held up from starting a Quakes counter attack. Not something you'd expect from someone so experienced as Salinas.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Again - gotta give it to Boateng. That being said, Howard came up HUGE three or four times on the night for the Rapids. Howard made a statement on Saturday, seemingly willing his team forward.
- Rapids: Tuesday, August 14 at LA Galaxy (8:30 PM MT)
- Quakes: Saturday, August 18 vs Toronto FC (8:00 PM Mt)