Joe Mason put the visitors in front, but Cristian Colman struck for the late equalizer as FC Dallas rallied for a 1-1 draw with the Colorado Rapids Saturday night at Toyota Stadium.
Dominique Badji won a battle for a long ball over the top and turned toward goal, creating a two-v-one situation in the attacking third. A week after scoring his first professional hat trick, Badji slipped a pass to Mason, whose left-footed shot deflected off Reto Ziegler and past Jimmy Maurer for his second goal of the season in the 62nd minute to put the Rapids (1-1-2) in front, 1-0.
But in the 89th minute, Mauro Diaz lofted a ball toward the back post where Colman latched on and bounced his header inside the far post to ensure FC Dallas (1-0-3) remained undefeated as the teams finished in a stalemate for the sixth time in the last eight encounters.
- 62’ — COL — Joe Mason | WATCH
- 89’ — DAL — Cristian Colman
- THE BIG PICTURE: They haven’t lit the league on fire, but quietly FC Dallas is proving to be difficult to beat, joining NYCFC as the only teams left in MLS without a loss. The Rapids will be left to rue conceding late for a third time this season.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Time and space on ball for Mauro Diaz is a recipe for disaster for opponents and the Argentine playmaker lofted a perfectly-weighted ball to a streaking Cristian Colman for the late equalizer. It was his second assist of the season.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Cristian Colman made the most of his 17 minutes off the substitute’s bench, beating his defender to a ball by Diaz to head in his first goal of 2018 after striking twice a year ago.
- FC DALLAS: Saturday, April 14 at New England Revolution (7:00 PM ET)
- COLORADO RAPIDS: Saturday, April 14 vs. Toronto FC (1:00 PM MT | TICKETS)