Portland Timbers vs Colorado Rapids
2018 MLS Regular Season — Week 28
Providence Park — Portland
September 8 — 8:30 PM MT
WATCH: ESPN+, MLS LIVE on DAZN (Canada)
The Portland Timbers will try to move back up the Western Conference table, and off the playoff line, when they host a rested Colorado Rapids team that has lost their last two games by a combined 8-0.
The Timbers are coming off a 1-1 draw against the New England Revolution, while the Rapids had a Week 27 bye and haven’t played since a 6-0 Rocky Mountain Cup defeat to Real Salt Lake.
This is the second meeting this season, with the Timbers pulling out a 3-2 victory at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on May 26. Samuel Armenteros struck for a brace and Diego Valeri added a goal for Portland, while the Rapids benefitted from a Julio Cascante own goal and Yannick Boli netted a late penalty kick.
- Know the Opponent: An in-depth look at the Timbers
- Hudson on Acosta call-up, returning to league play
- Ford: We’ve been building & progressing as a team
- Price ahead of Timbers match: We’re raring to go
Portland (11-7-8) moved back ahead of the playoff line by rallying for a 1-1 draw against the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday.
Scott Caldwell opened the scoring for the hosts in the 58th minute, but Lawrence Olum leveled in the 70th minute, redirecting a flicked on David Guzman corner kick.
“The guys gave everything, especially in the second half,” Giovanni Savarese said. “I thought we were solid in the first half, but in the second half, we gave everything we had in order to be able to at least get a point.”
- Suspended: None
- Suspended after next caution: M - Sebastian Blanco
- International duty: M - Andres Flores, M - David Guzman, D - Alvas Powell
- Injury Report: OUT: D - Roy Miller (right thigh injury), GK - Jake Gleeson; QUESTIONABLE: GK - Jeff Attinella
The Rapids (6-14-6) have had plenty of time to lick their wounds from a 6-0 loss to Real Salt Lake two weeks ago.
However, they take on the Timbers' shorthanded squad, without standout Kellyn Acosta, who is with the US national team, as well as suspended Niki Jackson and Bismark Boateng, who were sent off in that Rocky Mountain Cup defeat.
“Everyone is so hungry to get back in to Saturday,” Anthony Hudson said. “I think the confidence is still high. As tough as it was on Saturday, and it was incredibly touch for everyone, I think the lads still believed that leading up to that game we had a run of games there where we were playing the right way, we were confident, we were doing the right things, the team were working well together. We want to build on that.”
- Suspended: F - Niki Jackson, M - Bismark Boateng
- Suspended after next caution: D - Kortne Ford, F - Jack McBean, D - Danny Wilson
- International duty: M - Kellyn Acosta, D - Sam Vines
- Injury Report: OUT: D - Axel Sjoberg (knee injury); QUESTIONABLE: M - Sam Nicholson (back injury)
- Overall: Portland Timbers 9 wins, 25 goals … Colorado Rapids 7 wins, 25 goals … 3 draws
- At Portland: Timbers 7 wins, 14 goals … Rapids 1 win, 4 goals … 0 draws
- Last meeting at Portland: Portland Timbers 2, Colorado Rapids 1 (August 23, 2017)
Referee: Drew Fischer
Assistant Referees: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho, Chris Wattam
4th Official: Alejandro Mariscal
VAR: Dave Gantar